Doddington Bowls Club take on England in President’s weekend match
BOWLERS from Doddington were rewarded for becoming National Club Champions in August, when they took on the England team in a special President’s weekend match.
The club side battled to a creditable defeat against their national counterparts, eventually losing 51-13.
Ray Boon, Brian Elmore, Edward Elmore and Joe Peters were joined by Alison Gingell and Bill Harrison for Doddington, who replaced the unavailable Robert Elmore and Pauline Elmore.
The event, held at Brackley Indoor Bowls Club, was one of several squad weekends that the international side play in preparation for the International and British Isles Championships.
The highlight of the day for Doddington was a memorable victory for Edward Elmore and Ray Boon, who beat a national pair 15-8.
Club Chairman Mr Boon said: “Our club was privileged to play against England. We all played well and it was a great experience. We enjoyed a complementary lunch and were presented with England Match Badges.”
The experience has helped club members prepare for the Cambs League, in which they have one team in Division One and two teams in Division Two.
- 1 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 2 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 3 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 4 Councils bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 8 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 9 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 10 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
The club meets on Tuesday evenings 7-10pm. For further information please contact Rob on 01354 740044.