Doddington Bowls Club take on England in President’s weekend match
BOWLERS from Doddington were rewarded for becoming National Club Champions in August, when they took on the England team in a special President’s weekend match.
The club side battled to a creditable defeat against their national counterparts, eventually losing 51-13.
Ray Boon, Brian Elmore, Edward Elmore and Joe Peters were joined by Alison Gingell and Bill Harrison for Doddington, who replaced the unavailable Robert Elmore and Pauline Elmore.
The event, held at Brackley Indoor Bowls Club, was one of several squad weekends that the international side play in preparation for the International and British Isles Championships.
The highlight of the day for Doddington was a memorable victory for Edward Elmore and Ray Boon, who beat a national pair 15-8.
You may also want to watch:
Club Chairman Mr Boon said: “Our club was privileged to play against England. We all played well and it was a great experience. We enjoyed a complementary lunch and were presented with England Match Badges.”
The experience has helped club members prepare for the Cambs League, in which they have one team in Division One and two teams in Division Two.
- 1 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 2 'Numerous cars' in roundabout crash
- 3 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 4 Lidl lists Cambridgeshire locations for ‘potential store development’
- 5 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 6 Mum overwhelmed by support for 'angel gowns' project
- 7 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 10 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
The club meets on Tuesday evenings 7-10pm. For further information please contact Rob on 01354 740044.