Doddington Bowls Club take on England in President’s weekend match
BOWLERS from Doddington were rewarded for becoming National Club Champions in August, when they took on the England team in a special President’s weekend match.
The club side battled to a creditable defeat against their national counterparts, eventually losing 51-13.
Ray Boon, Brian Elmore, Edward Elmore and Joe Peters were joined by Alison Gingell and Bill Harrison for Doddington, who replaced the unavailable Robert Elmore and Pauline Elmore.
The event, held at Brackley Indoor Bowls Club, was one of several squad weekends that the international side play in preparation for the International and British Isles Championships.
The highlight of the day for Doddington was a memorable victory for Edward Elmore and Ray Boon, who beat a national pair 15-8.
Club Chairman Mr Boon said: “Our club was privileged to play against England. We all played well and it was a great experience. We enjoyed a complementary lunch and were presented with England Match Badges.”
The experience has helped club members prepare for the Cambs League, in which they have one team in Division One and two teams in Division Two.
- 1 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 2 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 3 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 4 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 5 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 6 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 7 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 8 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 My boss, the Prime Minister, is not a liar, says MP Steve Barclay
The club meets on Tuesday evenings 7-10pm. For further information please contact Rob on 01354 740044.