Edward Elmore crowned World Indoor Bowls Council under 25s Singles Champion for 2017
- Credit: Archant
A Bowls player from Doddington has completed his third championship in time for the New Year, making him the new World Indoor Bowls Council under 25s Singles Champion for 2017.
Edward Elmore, who plays at the City of Ely Bowls Club, completed the treble just prior to the Christmas period competing in the World Indoor Bowls Council Junior Championships in Newport, Wales.
These championships follow on from the English National Title he won early 2017 followed by the British Isles under 25s Title in Belfast, Northern Ireland last March.
The championships at the Newport Indoor Bowls Club included National Championship winners from Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Canada, Ireland, Guernsey and many more,
The Initial group stage saw Ed come up against Mark O’Hagan (Scotland) Winning 2 sets to 0 (9-2,9-4), Ben Dugdale (Isle of Man) winning convincingly 2 sets to 0 (16-0,18-1), Owen Kirby (Canada) winning 1.5 sets to 0.5 (11-3, 5-5) & Ross Owen (Wales) losing 2 sets to 0.
You may also want to watch:
These results were enough to qualify for the knockout stages where the final was setup between Ed & Ross Owen again of Wales.
A game of two halves saw Welsh International Ross take the first set 11-2, however Ed fought back to win the second 10-6 forcing the match to a tie break.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
A very close tie break end saw Ed win the match and championship becoming WIBC Under 25s Singles Champion 2017.