Dom lives up to sports role
WISBECH cricketer Dom Stannard can knock most of his contemporaries for six when it comes to sports dedication. That is why he has been nominated for a SkillsTrain Young People of the Year in Cambridgeshire award. Dom, 18, of Osborne Road, Wisbech, is in
WISBECH cricketer Dom Stannard can knock most of his contemporaries for six when it comes to sports dedication. That is why he has been nominated for a SkillsTrain Young People of the Year in Cambridgeshire award.
Dom, 18, of Osborne Road, Wisbech, is in the running for cash prizes totalling £2,000 in the award scheme, which reveals, recognises and rewards young people for being positive role models and helping others.
Since he started to play cricket at the age of 10, Dom has gone on to umpire and score youth cricket matches and he is now the youth development officer for Wisbech Cricket Club.
He has become an integral member in the club's successful youth programme, which provides boys and girls with training and coaching sessions, tournaments and cricket festivals.
And Dom's commitment to
providing busy winter and summer programmes on a voluntary basis has resulted in the SkillsTrain recognition.
- 1 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 5 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 6 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 10 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
Dom, a sixth form student at The Queen's School, Wisbech, said: "I am delighted to be nominated and it is great for my efforts to be recognised and appreciated.
"I love sport, love coaching and I love working with kids. I like to give something back to the club. It has given me many happy years.
"When I see youngsters improving and see their smiling faces I get such a buzz. It's also good for them because it promotes a healthy lifestyle."
"We now have about 100 youth team players and there will be six youth teams playing this year. We have been so successful that we will be introducing a fourth senior team next season so that younger players get more opportunities to play competitive senior cricket."
Dom was nominated for the award by Annette Williams, of Leverington Common, Leverington, whose four sons are members of Wisbech Cricket Club.
Annette said: "He has taken on many roles at the club, particularly helping the youngsters to develop their talent. He's an excellent role model who takes his responsibilities seriously.
"Dom willingly gives up his spare time to coach, encourage and motivate youngsters in their sport and carries out all connected administration and paper work connected with this. His training sessions are fun and educational."
Dom is also active in developing and improving the club's facilities and he is currently in the process of raising funds to purchase and install new nets.
He said: "Some of the equipment we use needs to be replaced and new nets are a priority for us. They will cost about £25,000 and we are hoping to raise enough money to get them in place by the summer."
And next year, Dom is hoping to introduce a new level of coaching at the club. He said: "I am aiming to go to Australia next year so that I can develop skills and bring them back to Wisbech. I will then be able to provide improved coaching to the club's players."
- Nominations are still being invited for the SkillsTrain Young People of the Year in Cambridgeshire awards. Nominees should be aged from 10 to 25 and live, work or study in Cambridgeshire. To request an entry form log on to www.yopey.org or write to PO Box 103, Hare Street, Ware SG9 0NP.
The deadline for nominations is April 30.