Ely Tigers ‘show a lot of heart - well done’ but still take a blow as they lose to Stowmarket
- Credit: Archant
“The boys played well Boy’s played well in terrible conditions in a backs to the wall game - they, showed a lot of heart; well done” was how one fan summered up Ely Tigers match against Stowmarket.
However Ely’s target of second place took a blow after the loss away to Stowmarket.
Missing several players from the week before, the Tigers took a few minutes to get into the match.
They were caught napping when Stowmarket forced their way over the line in the first few minutes. Ely then started to settle into the game. A good flow of play forced Stowmarket to concede a penalty for offside.
The Tigers opted for touch and won the line-out. The ball was shipped wide to man of the match Tom Green who showed great pace to dart around his opposite number, he touched down in the corner and Matt McCarthy was on point to add the extras.
In the second half Ely lost the wind advantage and weather worsened. Stowmarket sealed the victory adding four more tries to their tally to bring the score to 29-7.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Dental practice plan move to industrial park
- 9 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?