England boxing star Shona Whitwell shows Neale-Wade Academy pupils the ropes
- Credit: Archant
Pupils at Neale-Wade Academy in March were treated to a knockout boxing coaching session by one of England’s most exciting talents.
St Ives and England star Shona Whitwell joined March Boxing Club coaches Raf Tichanow and Bernie Wing at the school’s weekly training session, which is held to encourage the school’s youngsters into getting active.
The former ABA title-holder and her father and coach, Steve, put 18 pupils through their paces in the school’s sports centre, giving them tips on pad work and combinations.
Coach Bernie Wing was delighted to see the young star lend a hand at the session.
He said: “All the kids have really enjoyed having Shona here. She gave a great speech earlier and hopefully having her here will encourage more people to get involved with boxing and join the club.”
Shona, who has won five national titles during her career, said she enjoyed showing future boxing talents the ropes.
She said: “I’ve never really done anything like this before, but it’s been nice to come to a local school and get involved.”
- 1 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 4 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 5 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 6 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 7 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 8 Man charged following Peterborough murder
- 9 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 10 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
The 18-year-old, who fights out of St Ives Gym, has had a successful year, and has now set her sights on representing her country in the European Championships.
“It’s been a busy year,” she said.
“I’ve had the England Youth Championships which I won, and hopefully I’ll be selected for the European Championships which are in September.
“It’s been a bit frustrating at times because of fights being called off because of people pulling out and injuries, but hopefully I’ll find out if I’ve been picked about a month before.”