Eryk is set to put Fenland on the map as a rising boxing star after winning an England youth title
- Credit: Archant
Rising young boxer Eryk Ciureja has taken a prestigious national title after fighting like a champion over three days.
The 16 year old has bagged the England national youth cadet title in his age and weight category and has his sights set on becoming a professional fighter.
Eryk put Chatteris boxing club back on the map with a stunning win at Doncaster which adds to a growing collection of silverware including the Juniors ABA, the Bristol Box Cup and the Junior NABC.
I went boxing for the first time with my cousin when I was nine. I didn’t expect to fight but I fell in love with it,” he said.
“It’s now part of my routine, part of who I am. If I miss a day of training I hate it and get bored.”
You may also want to watch:
Eryk, an engineering student at the College of West Anglia, trains five days a week and is devoted to his sport.
He has won 35 of 46 bouts with the 11 losses close split decisions.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 3 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 4 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 5 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 6 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 7 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 8 Neighbours want council to call time on off-licence
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Driver bids to drift towards fruitful career with national success
Eryk said: “I had my first exhibition gym show at the age of 10 and ever since then people keep telling me how good I am, at first I couldn’t handle that, but then I realised you have to believe in yourself to succeed.
“I train hard, To get on you have to dedicate your life to it. I want to do well and become professional when the time is right.
“A massive thank you has to go to my coach Matt Lenton who has helped me so much. All boxers dream of becoming world champion and that too is my dream.”
Likely to become a future fly weight star, Eryk began training with Sparta ABC, now merged with Chatteris.
The latest fight was Eryk’s third ABA title and the fifth for Chatteris.
He won all three fights by unanimous decision to take the England youth cadet title under 49kg.
Matt Lenton said: “Eryk boxed three unbelievable fights under unbelievable pressure to take his third ABA title.
“We are very proud to announce the merging of Sparta ABC with Chatteris boxing club, a club steeped in history and tradition.
“I am honoured to be the head of Chatteris boxing and myself and Eryk dedicate this win to the memory of Matty Payne my former coach, who along with Tony Brown, gave me the inspiration to teach kids like Eryk.”