EXCLUSIVE: Meet Wisbech darts team’s new recruit: Three-time world champion Martin ‘Wolfie’ Adams
HE is a three-time world champion who has won more England caps than any other player in the history of the game.
But Martin ‘Wolfie’ Adams has also become the latest addition to Wisbech Town’s darts team.
The 56-year-old has agreed to play for the Wisbech side in the Cambridgeshire Men’s Superleague, which starts this month.
He has played in the league for almost 25 years and represented Rileys in Peterborough last season.
Adams said: “I fancied a change of scenery, so I thought why not?
“I know one or two of the lads who play in the team so they won’t be total strangers.
“I’ve never actually been to the Wisbech venue, so from that point of view it’s all new ground!”
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 10 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
Adams, from Deeping St James, has won the BDO World Championship three times and is England’s longest serving captain.
“I always enjoy playing at whatever level,” he said. “There’s still records to be broken and cups to win.
“There are one or two players who don’t know that I still play in the local leagues and they always get a bit of a shock when I turn up!”
Adams said he hoped to play a few league games this season - but his availability may be limited by major championships and international fixtures.