EXCLUSIVE: Spalding United swoop for Wisbech Town captain Paul Cousins
WISBECH Town boss Steve Appleby is fighting to keep hold of his captain after Spalding United launched a bid to sign Paul Cousins.
The Tulips put in a seven-day approach for the centre-back yesterday, just four days before the Fenmen entertain former Conference side Kettering Town in a dream FA Cup clash.
Appleby has already spoken to Cousins and he will hold further discussions with the 30-year-old tonight in an attempt to convince him to stay.
The Wisbech boss said: “You like to think that your best players will attract some attention but this is a blow.
“I would imagine they are planning to throw money at him but the way I see it is that our club is more stable and we have more chance of winning things.
“Paul loves his hometown club and hopefully we can keep him here.”
There was some good news for Fenmen fans, as striker Chris Bacon looks likely to be fit enough to play in Saturday’s FA Cup First Qualifying Round.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 4 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 9 Karen’s three-course lunch with Mayor of Wisbech
- 10 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
The forward was expected to be sidelined for another two weeks with torn shoulder ligaments but he has already come through some training.
His fellow striker Dubi Ogbonna is still struggling with an ankle injury and is rated as 50-50 for Saturday’s tie.
• FOR THE FULL STORY AND ALL THE LATEST NEWS FROM THE FENMEN SEE FRIDAY’S WISBECH STANDARD.