EXCLUSIVE: Spalding United swoop for Wisbech Town captain Paul Cousins
WISBECH Town boss Steve Appleby is fighting to keep hold of his captain after Spalding United launched a bid to sign Paul Cousins.
The Tulips put in a seven-day approach for the centre-back yesterday, just four days before the Fenmen entertain former Conference side Kettering Town in a dream FA Cup clash.
Appleby has already spoken to Cousins and he will hold further discussions with the 30-year-old tonight in an attempt to convince him to stay.
The Wisbech boss said: “You like to think that your best players will attract some attention but this is a blow.
“I would imagine they are planning to throw money at him but the way I see it is that our club is more stable and we have more chance of winning things.
“Paul loves his hometown club and hopefully we can keep him here.”
There was some good news for Fenmen fans, as striker Chris Bacon looks likely to be fit enough to play in Saturday’s FA Cup First Qualifying Round.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 3 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 4 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 5 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 6 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 7 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 8 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 9 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 10 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
The forward was expected to be sidelined for another two weeks with torn shoulder ligaments but he has already come through some training.
His fellow striker Dubi Ogbonna is still struggling with an ankle injury and is rated as 50-50 for Saturday’s tie.
• FOR THE FULL STORY AND ALL THE LATEST NEWS FROM THE FENMEN SEE FRIDAY’S WISBECH STANDARD.