EXCLUSIVE: Top-scorer Bacon plans to stay with Wisbech Town for next season’s promotion bid
TOP-SCORER Chris Bacon has revealed that he wants to stay at Wisbech Town to spearhead another promotion bid.
The striker has become a fans’ favourite at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium, scoring 32 goals since joining from King’s Lynn Town last summer.
He was named as supporters’ player of the season during Saturday’s 5-2 home victory over Walsham-le-Willows - and celebrated the award by bagging a hat-trick.
But now he has given Steve Appleby’s plans for next season a huge boost by verbally agreeing to stay with the Fenmen.
Bacon said: “It’s been a great season all round for me but if I’d have been more clinical I could have scored between 40 and 50 goals.
You may also want to watch:
“Playing every week, feeling happier in myself and my team-mates and just the nice ethics around the whole club are the things that have helped me flourish.
“I sat down with Apps (Appleby) and agreed to stay next year instantly. If you’re happy somewhere I don’t see the reason in changing that.
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 5 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 6 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time
- 7 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 8 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 9 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 10 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
“Apps wants to win the league next season and so do I. We share similar views and if we keep the nucleus of our side, and tweak it slightly, we won’t be far away.”
Denny Escorcio and Jon Fairweather were also on target in the weekend win.
Wisbech could still leapfrog Brantham Athletic and claim a third-placed Ridgeons Premier Division finish, if they beat them away on Saturday.
Appleby said: “Wisbech are established as a top-four side and it’s also now easier to attract people when they know players like Chris Bacon are going to be here.
“It’s not a surprise to me how well Chris has done. He’s been fantastic on and off the pitch. He’s a man’s man and he leads by example.”