FA CUP REACTION: Reed apologises to Wisbech Town fans but slams March’s ‘negative’ tactics
MIDFIELD ace Callum Reed has apologised to the Wisbech Town fans for his poor performance in yesterday’s FA Cup Fen derby with March Town United.
The talented 20-year-old, who has already scored five goals for the Fenmen this season, also hit out at the Hares’ “negative” tactics during yesterday’s 1-1 draw.
Reed was man-marked throughout the feisty cup clash, first by Lewis Cook and then by Nathan Smith. He failed to inspire a Fenmen victory and was substituted late on after picking up a booking.
“It’s a very negative way of playing,” said Reed. “I started off right midfield, they played with two left backs. I went on the left wing, they played with two right backs. I went central midfield, they played with two central midfielders.
“It was two against one wherever I went. It’s not a way to play football but then again it’s worked for them. It’s just one of those things.
“That’s probably one of my worst performances. I apologise to all the fans that came and made the effort. It’s not nice when they’ve paid money to come and watch the game and you don’t perform.”
Wisbech boss Steve Appleby said: “They stopped Callum playing by doubling up on him but they sacrificed their own game to do that as well. Callum Reed’s got to take it as a compliment and move on.”
- 1 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 2 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 3 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 4 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 5 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 6 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 7 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 8 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 9 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 10 Improve your selfies and photographs by joining new group
A staggering 1,100 people flocked to the GER to watch Luke Pepper’s stunning free-kick earn a draw for March after Liam Nimmo had put the Fenmen ahead.
Fenland’s two biggest sides will meet again for the FA Cup Preliminary Round replay on Tuesday night at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
Reed added: “I think a draw was a fair result, we didn’t play very well. We’ve had a tough week with Dereham and yesterday’s result and we’ve got to forget it now and go again on Tuesday.”