Fen Potter Perry draws Stephen Hendry in World Snooker Championship First Round
CHATTERIS snooker ace Joe Perry faces a tough test in the World Snooker Championship after drawing seven-time champion Stephen Hendry in the first round.
Perry, ranked 30th in the world, booked his place at the Crucible after beating Chinese star Liu Song 10-6 in a nerve-wracking final qualifying round match last Saturday.
The 36-year-old told the Cambs Times last week that he wanted to avoid world champion and practice partner Neil Robertson, who will begin the defence of his title against Judd Trump on Saturday April 16.
Hendry, described by many as the greatest player of all time, will offer a stern test for the Fen Potter who reached the semi-final in 2008 but lost to Ali Carter 17-15 in an epic clash.
Perry said last week: “I don’t know how many times I’ve played at the Crucible but it’s the greatest test and you never get sick of it. I have had some horror shows but some of my greatest achievements have been there. I’m not afraid of playing anyone.”
You may also want to watch:
The full first round draw in full
Draw for the 2011 Betfred.com World Snooker Championship (April 16 to May 2 at the Crucible Theatre, Sheffield, England):
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 7 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 10 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
Jamie Cope v Andrew Pagett
Ding Junhui v Jamie Burnett
John Higgins v Stephen Lee
Neil Robertson v Judd Trump
Mark Allen v Matthew Stevens
Ricky Walden v Rory McLeod
Mark Williams v Ryan Day
Stephen Maguire v Barry Hawkins
Ronnie O’Sullivan v Dominic Dale
Shaun Murphy v Marcus Campbell
Graeme Dott v Mark King
Stephen Hendry v Joe Perry
Ali Carter v Dave Harold
Peter Ebdon v Stuart Bingham
Mark Selby v Jimmy Robertson
Marco Fu v Martin Gould
The prestigious tournament runs from April 16 to May 2 at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield.