Fen Tigers brothers earn national call-ups for European Championships
- Credit: Archant
Two of Fen Tigers Goalball Club’s players have been named in Great Britain’s squad to compete on the European stage.
Joe and Dan Roper will play for the national team at the IBSA Goalball European B Championships between June 3-6 in Lahti, Finland.
The Roper brothers make up two of the six-strong team that will play in Group B against Italy, Sweden, Montenegro and Poland for a spot in the quarter-finals.
Joe said: “Being able to share the court with my brother is always special for me.
"Over the years we have built up a brilliant bond playing goalball and it’s fantastic that we can use this to help our country progress in the sport we love.”
Dan believes there is a "sense of determination" within the team as they look to showcase their talents.
Faye Dale, head coach, said: “We have ambitions of what we want to accomplish in Finland and over the coming years.
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 3 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 4 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 5 Motorcyclist killed after driver fell asleep at the wheel
- 6 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 7 Man arrested following Peterborough 'murder'
- 8 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 9 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 10 Man charged following Peterborough murder
“But, for now, we are taking everything one step at a time and this a key milestone on the journey for this team.”
Great Britain face Sweden in their opening match on June 3.
A top-three finish for Great Britain will secure a spot at the European A Championships and a chance of qualifying for the world championships in China next year, as well as the 2024 Paralympic Games in Paris.
Goalball is a fast-paced team sport for people with a visual impairment. It is played by two teams of three players.
The objective of the game is to score by using a range of techniques to shoot the ball along the floor into the opposition's goal.