GOALBALL: Fen Tigers elite team crowned as UK’s best
- Credit: Archant
The rise of the Fen Tigers goalball team has been well documented in recent months – and the local side has added to its year of success by claiming its biggest victory to date.
The club’s elite side travelled to Birmingham for the UK Elite Tournament and came away with the gold medal – meaning they are the country’s best goalball team.
The team of Filmon Eyassu, Georgie Bullen, Dom Roper and Dan Roper claimed top spot by going the whole of the tournament unbeaten; a run that include victories over last year’s winners, Northern Allstairs, and a final success over 2015 National Leauge winners, Winchester.
The tournament was the Tigers’ first elite tournament and Emma Evans’ first as coach, and she is delighted with how far her side has come.
“The elite league demands players have such a high standard of play that only four other clubs in the UK participate,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“The fact that we are entering this league after one full season is testament to the level of coaching and commitment within the club.”
Victory in Birmingham means the Fen Tigers top the National League standings, with 28 points out of a possible 30.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 4 Photographer captures the ‘sonic boom’ RAF Typhoon on camera
- 5 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 6 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 7 Pedestrian dies at scene of crash
- 8 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 9 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 10 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
The club trains at Neale Wade Sports Academy every other Saturday. To find out more or get in touch, visit the club’s Facebook page or @fentigersgball on Twitter.