Fenland cricket round-up
TEAMS from March, Wisbech, Chatteris and Leverington were all in cricket action at the weekend.
• WISBECH Rutland Firsts lost by 27 runs against Barnack in Rutland League Division One.
Barnack won the toss and decided to bat, reaching 242-6 off their 45 overs. Matthew Parrin was Wisbech’s best bowler with 2-43.
Wisbech opener Dom Stannard top scored with 63 before being bowled by S Mohammed. James Williams made 47 runs and Gary Freear 32, but Wisbech were bowled out for 215 in 42 overs.
• WISBECH Rutland Seconds beat Warboys Rutland I by 47 runs in Rutland League Division Six.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech won the toss and batted first, making 225-8 off their 45 overs. Opening batsman Shane Sleath made 48 runs and number six Keith Jakings top scored with 56.
Warboys opening batsman Daniel Hyde made 69 before being bowled by Muhammad Niaz but Warboys were bowled out for 178 off 38.1 overs. Niaz was the best of the Wisbech bowlers with 5-68, Martin Parrin took 3-50 and John Mallett 2-18.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 6 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 9 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 10 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
• A TOP-of-the-table clash between Wisbech Seconds and Chatteris Firsts in CCA Senior Division Three ended with an eight-wicket victory for Chatteris.
Only Matt Esser (52) made any impact for Wisbech, who were all out for 137. Mark Leach 4-31 for Chatteris off eight overs, Andy Wool 3-26, Ant Palmer 2-24 and Steve Stroud 1-28.
In reply, Chatteris had a shaky start, losing opener James Dawson for six, but a partnership between Oliver Fox (53) and Steven Stroud (44no) saw Chatteris to victory off 23.1 overs.
• MARCH Thirds took a one wicket victory against Wisbech Thirds in CCA Junior Division 2A.
Wisbech batted first and were bowled out for 128. Top scorer was Adrian Peck (33no). Matthew Hubbard took 4-26 off 9.4 overs for March, Stuart Fox took 3-31 and Lewis Hilliard, James Stimpson and Gary Lawrence each took one.
Hilliard top scored for March with 55, but next highest scorer was Gary Lawrence with 21. March reached their target with one wicket to spare.
Adrian Peck and Paul Strickle both took three wickets, Lyndon Waters took 2-49 and John Mallet took 1-17 off 10 overs with three maidens.
• WISBECH Fourths and March Fourths drew in a high scoring contest in CCA Junior Division 4A.
Wisbech scored 230-5 off their 40 overs. Dean Dodman top scored with 75. Toby Nulty took 3-49 and Manuj Patel and Jacob Gray took one wicket each.
March reached 230 all out in response. Opener Dennis Furnell made a fantastic 93 when he was caught by David LeMoir off the bowling of Matt Duff. Fellow opener James Hilliard made 33.
• MARCH Firsts beat Oakham by 20 runs in Rutland League Division Two.
March won the toss and batted first, making 248-6 off their 45 overs. In reply, Oakham were bowled out for 228 in 42 overs.
MARCH Seconds took a narrow victory against City of Ely Firsts in CCA Senior Division Two.
March batted first and were all out for 168. Opener Jake Wenman scored 84 but had little support from the rest of the team. David Hazelgrove was next highest scorer with 25.
In reply, Ely were bowled out for 158. Andrew Wright took 3-15 off 12 overs, including three maidens.
• AN opening partnership of 95 saw Chatteris Seconds to a seven wicket victory against Over Seconds in CCA Junior Divison 3A.
Over were bowled out for 120. Liam Boxall took 4-40, James Surtees 2-17, Paul Foster 2-3 off 2.3 overs and 13 year-old Kriss Brown took 1-22.
Chatteris made short work of reaching their target with opener Malcolm Perry (57no) and Liam Boxall (44) putting on 95 for the first wicket. After losing three quick wickets Stuart Porter (5no) saw the side home.
• WISBECH Thirds thrashed Leverington by 150 runs in a Fenland Invitation Trophy game.
Wisbech scored 186-9 off their 40 overs. Extras contributed 40 to the run chase and Tom Drew was the most prolific batsman with 38.
None of the Leverington batmen reached double figures.
They were bowled out for 36 in 13.3 overs. Danny Emmington took 4-22 off four overs and Tom Chapman and Oliver Porter each took two.