Fenland Flyers reformed after 25 years to compete against Cambs teams
THE Fenland Flyers Swimming Team has reformed after a break of 25 years so three teams can compete with larger squads from other parts of Cambridgeshire.
Leaders of March Marlins, Chatteris Kingfishers and Wisbech Swimming Club reformed the Flyers as an elite team so their swimmers can compete against larger teams from Cambridge, Peterborough and Huntingdon.
The team made its return to action in the Cambridgeshire Cup, held at Cambridge Regional Pool. The Flyers fielded a team of 28 swimmers aged from 10 to adult and beat Huntingdon into fourth place.
Sadie Richardson, the team’s Cambridgeshire County Representative, said: “The three clubs made a good team.
“Usually Chatteris, March and Wisbech can only field much smaller teams and they inevitably get beaten by the bigger teams which is very disheartening for the youngsters who often decide to leave the individual clubs.
“Now we are going to pick an elite team under the Fenland Flyers banner and enter the big competitions where we will have more of a chance to win.”
Results from the Cambs Cup on Sunday included second places for Stephen Mavin (100m Butterfly), Phoebe Gallagher (50m Breaststroke) and the boys 200m freestyle relay team of Mavin, Gary Smith, Matthew Jakeman and Mark Thompson.
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 3 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 4 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 5 Man charged following Peterborough murder
- 6 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 7 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 8 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 9 Motorcyclist killed after driver fell asleep at the wheel
- 10 Man arrested following Peterborough 'murder'
Third places went to the team of Sara Knight, Charlotte Riches, Annabel Van Daalen and Kate Newton in the 200m Medley Relay; the team of Smith, Jakeman, Mavin and Thompson in the 200m Medley Relay; Riches in the 50m Breaststroke; Adam Lifshack in the 100m Breaststroke; Mollie Allen in the 50m Freestyle; Mavin in the 100m Freestyle; Luke Oliver in the 100m Butterfly; the team of Knight, Riches, Van Daalen and Newton in the 200m freestyle relay; Smith in the 100m Backstroke; and the team of Tom Kelly, Lifshack, Oliver and Ryan Rout-Lester in the 200m Medley Relay.
Final Placings for the evening were: 1 Peterborough, 2 Cambridge, 3 St Ives, 4 Fenland Flyers, 5 Huntingdon.
• For more information or to join one of Fenland’s swimming clubs, visit www.marchmarlinssc.co.uk, www.wisbechsc.org or www.chatteriskingfishers.co.uk