Fenland Flyers reformed after 25 years to compete against Cambs teams
THE Fenland Flyers Swimming Team has reformed after a break of 25 years so three teams can compete with larger squads from other parts of Cambridgeshire.
Leaders of March Marlins, Chatteris Kingfishers and Wisbech Swimming Club reformed the Flyers as an elite team so their swimmers can compete against larger teams from Cambridge, Peterborough and Huntingdon.
The team made its return to action in the Cambridgeshire Cup, held at Cambridge Regional Pool. The Flyers fielded a team of 28 swimmers aged from 10 to adult and beat Huntingdon into fourth place.
Sadie Richardson, the team’s Cambridgeshire County Representative, said: “The three clubs made a good team.
“Usually Chatteris, March and Wisbech can only field much smaller teams and they inevitably get beaten by the bigger teams which is very disheartening for the youngsters who often decide to leave the individual clubs.
You may also want to watch:
“Now we are going to pick an elite team under the Fenland Flyers banner and enter the big competitions where we will have more of a chance to win.”
Results from the Cambs Cup on Sunday included second places for Stephen Mavin (100m Butterfly), Phoebe Gallagher (50m Breaststroke) and the boys 200m freestyle relay team of Mavin, Gary Smith, Matthew Jakeman and Mark Thompson.
- 1 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 2 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 3 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 4 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 5 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 6 BBC’s Johnny Dee all smiles at surprise market place birthday bash
- 7 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 8 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
- 9 Lorry driver makes a fundamental error at Fenland roundabout...
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
Third places went to the team of Sara Knight, Charlotte Riches, Annabel Van Daalen and Kate Newton in the 200m Medley Relay; the team of Smith, Jakeman, Mavin and Thompson in the 200m Medley Relay; Riches in the 50m Breaststroke; Adam Lifshack in the 100m Breaststroke; Mollie Allen in the 50m Freestyle; Mavin in the 100m Freestyle; Luke Oliver in the 100m Butterfly; the team of Knight, Riches, Van Daalen and Newton in the 200m freestyle relay; Smith in the 100m Backstroke; and the team of Tom Kelly, Lifshack, Oliver and Ryan Rout-Lester in the 200m Medley Relay.
Final Placings for the evening were: 1 Peterborough, 2 Cambridge, 3 St Ives, 4 Fenland Flyers, 5 Huntingdon.
• For more information or to join one of Fenland’s swimming clubs, visit www.marchmarlinssc.co.uk, www.wisbechsc.org or www.chatteriskingfishers.co.uk