Fenland in fine form as hundreds of runners conquer 39-mile Hereward Relay
STRONG winds failed to stop almost 500 runners from conquering the 39-mile Hereward Relay on Sunday.
The relay race saw 116 teams of four battle their way from Peterborough Cathedral to Ely Cathedral, following the Hereward Way. There were also 33 ultra runners, who braved the whole course by themselves.
The ultra race was won by Craig Holgate (4.22.54) from Ely Runners with Kate McBurney (5.49.25) the first ultra lady home. Sleaford Town Dream Team (3.40.30) triumphed in the relay race.
March Athletic Club, who hosted the annual event, entered six teams. The ‘A’ team, of Joe Bradshaw, Steve Rooney, Wayne Stimson and Nick Man, were first home for the club in 40th place overall (4.38.27).
March’s ‘B’ team, of Luke Fenner, Jason Perring, Mick Stacey and Tim Boyd, finished 48th overall (4.45.10) while March ladies - Lynn Summerfield, Geraldine Emmins, Debra Wait and Karen Patterson - finished 56th (4.53.07).
The club’s ‘C’ team, of Faye Scrivener, Martin King, Fred Amps and Jim Atkin, were 93rd (5.29.07).
The ‘D’ team, which included Shaun Donkin, Austin Patterson, Alan Dawes and junior runner Tillie Murphy, finished 108th (5.52.18) while Nicola Stacey, Pat Brown, Pat Norris and Steve Keogh joined forces to finish 112th (6.08.42).
- 1 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 5 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 6 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 10 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
Fenland Running Club fielded nine teams, finishing 12th, 30th, 36th, 45th, 57th, 59th, 78th, 85th, and 91st.
The club were led by their ladies, who finished second in their event, and the in-form Jack Trow (35.33) who finished third in the first stage.
Fenland Running Club - Full Stage Results
Stage 1 (6.5 miles): 3rd Jack Trow 35.33; 21st Rebecca Cousins 40.48; 28th Paul Weigand 42.38; 48th Sam Goodger 45.56; 49th Katie Ward 46.25; 54th Adam Chown 47.33; 71st Maire Irlam 50.33; 94th Sarah Gauvin 54.11; 98th Lou Busby 55.31.
Stage 2 (10.5 miles): 11th Ady Martin 1.06.33; 33rd Dan Wate 1.14.19; 40th Mel Murdoch 1.16.50; 44th Aaron Parker 1.17.33; 53rd Ian Milburn 1.19.17; 59th Colin Simpson 1.21.03; 68th Mark Shrimpton 1.22.22; 82nd Paul Griffin 1.25.22; 85th Pasquale Ruggiero 1.27.48.
Stage 3 (11.4 miles): 20th Tim Chapman 1.15.12; 28th Paul Arnold 1.16.58; 53rd Trudy Sayell 1.23.39; 57th Chris Roach 1.24.14; 59th Keith White 1.24.52; 69th Brian Goodenough 1.28.21; 71st Simon Edwards 1.29.22; 79th Dean Powley 1.31.06; 100th Jane Greenwood 1.40.09.
Stage 4 (10.4 miles): 13th Robin Parker 1.04.04; 27th Robbie Howlett 1.10.53; 42nd Lisa Jermey 1.15.22; 45th Nicole Coughlin 1.15.42; 49th Andre Pittock 1.16.57; 63rd Ann Trett 1.20.37; 82nd Lucy Chessor 1.25.26; 87th Sue Atter 1.27.09; 107th Nathan Saw 1.34.35.