Fenland kickboxing stars start 2012 in style as Broccoli qualifies for World Championships
KICKBOXING star Marco Broccoli took a valuable bronze to qualify for the World Championships as Fenland’s fighters started 2012 in style.
Broccoli led the way for the British and Chinese Kickboxing Association (BCKA), who meet in Wisbech, March, Chatteris and Whittlesey, by finishing third in the World Kickboxing Council English Open National Championships. The medal means he will travel to the World Championships, held in Canada in October.
But Broccoli’s team-mates have also been in fine form, as the BCKA’s young stars returned from two competitions, in Boston and Peterborough, with a massive haul of silverware.
Seven fighters became champions at the two events, with Grant Brown, Courtney Brown, Karl Strange, Harley Hilliam and Edward Paddock all victorious.
Young stars Jazmyn Evans, from Whittlesey, and Charlotte Cameron, from Wisbech, were also in sparkling form to record their wins.
Coach Andy Whitwell, a fourth Dan Black Belt in BCKA kickboxing, said: “All of our fighters are showing a great desire, not only to work hard towards the next grading but to perform at competitions.
“In October I started a ‘fight club’ in Stanground, Peterborough, to concentrate further on competition techniques and extensive sparring. This has really brought our fighters together and the improvement in our team’s performance is plain to see.
- 1 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 4 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 5 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 6 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 7 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 8 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 9 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 10 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
“I am very proud of their efforts and, without a doubt, we will have a great year.”
• Anyone interested in joining the club can contact Whitwell on 07969792286 or visit www.bcka-peterborough.co.uk