Fenland kickboxing stars start 2012 in style as Broccoli qualifies for World Championships
KICKBOXING star Marco Broccoli took a valuable bronze to qualify for the World Championships as Fenland’s fighters started 2012 in style.
Broccoli led the way for the British and Chinese Kickboxing Association (BCKA), who meet in Wisbech, March, Chatteris and Whittlesey, by finishing third in the World Kickboxing Council English Open National Championships. The medal means he will travel to the World Championships, held in Canada in October.
But Broccoli’s team-mates have also been in fine form, as the BCKA’s young stars returned from two competitions, in Boston and Peterborough, with a massive haul of silverware.
Seven fighters became champions at the two events, with Grant Brown, Courtney Brown, Karl Strange, Harley Hilliam and Edward Paddock all victorious.
Young stars Jazmyn Evans, from Whittlesey, and Charlotte Cameron, from Wisbech, were also in sparkling form to record their wins.
You may also want to watch:
Coach Andy Whitwell, a fourth Dan Black Belt in BCKA kickboxing, said: “All of our fighters are showing a great desire, not only to work hard towards the next grading but to perform at competitions.
“In October I started a ‘fight club’ in Stanground, Peterborough, to concentrate further on competition techniques and extensive sparring. This has really brought our fighters together and the improvement in our team’s performance is plain to see.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
“I am very proud of their efforts and, without a doubt, we will have a great year.”
• Anyone interested in joining the club can contact Whitwell on 07969792286 or visit www.bcka-peterborough.co.uk