Fenland mixed martial artist John ‘The One’ Maguire lands UFC contract
A MIXED martial artist from Wisbech St Mary has become the first fighter in East Anglia to land a contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The current Cage Rage UK and OMMAC Welterweight champion said signing for the world’s largest mixed martial arts (MMA) organisation was the “realisation of a dream”.
Maguire said: “I’ve been working towards this opportunity for years, I’ve earned it, and now I want to make an impression.
“This is the chance to show what I can do. I probably haven’t had the recognition I deserve on the British circuit, despite defending my Cage Rage UK title three times, so now I can really prove what I’m about.
“I feel this is where I belong.”
You may also want to watch:
MMA mixes a range of disciplines including karate, boxing and judo. Victories can be gained via knockout, submission or by referee’s decision.
Grappling expert Maguire has picked up nine of his 16 victories by submission. He has lost just three bouts.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 8 ‘Boris should try to fill in the forms if he thinks they’re so simple’
- 9 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
The Tsunami fighter, who trains at the Pro-Am Fight Centre in Cambridge, said: “I’ve taken sessions down at Avaddon MMA in Wisbech and I know the sport is growing in the area.
“I hope I’ve proved to other fighters in Cambridgeshire – and especially Wisbech – that it doesn’t matter where you come from. If you work hard enough you can still make it.
“I’m proud to be putting Wisbech on the UFC map.”
He praised his Tsunami team-mates and brother Tommy, 23, for their help in aiding his career’s progression.
The 170lb, 28-year-old, who said he is proud of his “travelling roots”, will make his debut in the octagon – a caged ring - against American Justin Edwards at the company’s UFC 138 event in Birmingham on November 5.
• You can follow Maguire on Twitter - @maguiretheone