Fenland mixed martial artist John ‘The One’ Maguire lands UFC contract
A MIXED martial artist from Wisbech St Mary has become the first fighter in East Anglia to land a contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The current Cage Rage UK and OMMAC Welterweight champion said signing for the world’s largest mixed martial arts (MMA) organisation was the “realisation of a dream”.
Maguire said: “I’ve been working towards this opportunity for years, I’ve earned it, and now I want to make an impression.
“This is the chance to show what I can do. I probably haven’t had the recognition I deserve on the British circuit, despite defending my Cage Rage UK title three times, so now I can really prove what I’m about.
“I feel this is where I belong.”
MMA mixes a range of disciplines including karate, boxing and judo. Victories can be gained via knockout, submission or by referee’s decision.
Grappling expert Maguire has picked up nine of his 16 victories by submission. He has lost just three bouts.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 2 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 3 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 My boss, the Prime Minister, is not a liar, says MP Steve Barclay
The Tsunami fighter, who trains at the Pro-Am Fight Centre in Cambridge, said: “I’ve taken sessions down at Avaddon MMA in Wisbech and I know the sport is growing in the area.
“I hope I’ve proved to other fighters in Cambridgeshire – and especially Wisbech – that it doesn’t matter where you come from. If you work hard enough you can still make it.
“I’m proud to be putting Wisbech on the UFC map.”
He praised his Tsunami team-mates and brother Tommy, 23, for their help in aiding his career’s progression.
The 170lb, 28-year-old, who said he is proud of his “travelling roots”, will make his debut in the octagon – a caged ring - against American Justin Edwards at the company’s UFC 138 event in Birmingham on November 5.
• You can follow Maguire on Twitter - @maguiretheone