Fenland runners descend on Thorney for 10km race
- Credit: Archant
Runners from Fenland Running Club and March AC were among the 226 competitors who took part in the Thorney 10km race yesterday.
The race was won by Alan Birch, of Nene Valley Harriers, who edged out Walpole St Andrew runner Matt Pyatt.
Pyatt completed the course in 33 minutes 55 seconds, smashing his personal best by 49 seconds.
Martin Jennings was first home of Fenland Running Club’s 21 entrants and leading vet-40 male, setting a personal best of 38 minutes 30 seconds.
Birthday girl Marie Irlam won the vet-45 category and was fifth lady to finish.
You may also want to watch:
Results: Martin Jennings 14th, 38.30 (PB); Richard Hammond 18th, 38.54; Rod Sinnott 40th, 41.56 (PB); Justin Showell 47th, 42.41 (PB); Tony Moore 48th, 43.12 (PB); Maire Irlam 55th, 44.00; Colin Ferguson 56th, 44.02; Dean Clark 70th, 46.08 (PB); Ian Milburn 76th, 46.29; Clive Harrod 80th, 46.57; Richard Williams 90th, 48.07; Mark Millinson 97th, 48.51; Alan Bird 109th, 50.17; Nicky Jennings 111th, 50.22 (PB); Paulina Zub 115th, 50.28; Adam Oakes 142nd, 53.16; David Hood 152nd, 54.03; Joice Showell 165th 55.54 (PB); Marc Martin 184th, 58.04 (PB); Sharon Bird 184th, 58.04 (PB).
Four March AC runners won their age groups - Andrew Larham won the vet-55 category, Geraldine Larham won the vet-40 category, Frances Cooke won the vet-55 category and Lavinia Seward won the vet-70 category.
- 1 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 2 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 3 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 4 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 5 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 6 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 7 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 8 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 9 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 10 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
The first club runner home was Jevan Robertson, who finished 10th overall in 37 minutes 45 seconds.
Results: Jevan Robertson 10th, 37.45; Lee Carey 17th, 38.42; Paul Hensby,25th, 40.02; Andrew Larham 34th, 41.10; Wayne Stimson 46th, 42.39; Tim Boyd 53rd, 43.48; Geraldine Larham, 65th, 45.33; Kevin Barnes, 81st, 47.06; Darren Moat, 85th, 47.24; Harry Littlemore 99th, 49.02; Malcolm Hunt 129th, 52.08; Frances Cooke 135th, 52.54; Fay Scrivener 150th, 53.31; Graeme Robertson 155th, 54.41; Michelle Seward 156th, 54.44; Keith Saward 179th, 57.47; Katie Hunt 188th, 58.32; Lavinia Seward 202nd, 60.45; Tony Whibley 210th, 65.23.
FRC runner Becky Cousins finished second in the last race of the Cross Country Grand Prix in Shouldham Warren.
The result saw her finish the six race competition in second spot.