Five Fenland Runners impress in a fast, flat race in picturesque Peterborough park
- Credit: Archant
Five Fenland members travelled to Ferry Meadows, Peterborough for the Barney Memorial 5k on Wednesday evening.
This is a fast, flat race set in the beautiful country park.
The Fenland Running Club took five prizes for the series:
Martin Jennings 1st MV45: Sean Connolly 3rd MV45; Ian Milburn 2nd MV70; Jackie Richards 2nd LV50 and Jane Greenwood 1st LV60.
Martin Jennings had a spectacular race around the two-lap course which weaves its way around both Lynch and Overton lakes.
You may also want to watch:
He finished 13th overall and 1st MV45 in a time of 17.20.
First Fenland lady home was Ellen Connolly (91st) in a time of 22.18, closely followed by Aaron Petts (104th) improving his time by more than two minutes.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 7 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 8 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
Ian Milburn (127th) finished in 24.21 and Jane Greenwood (139th) was 1st LV60 in 25.07 out of 199 participants.
The Thorney five mile took place on Sunday with eleven Fenland Running Club members taking part.
It was a blustery day with 218 runners taking part.
Again Martin Jennings was the first Fenland runner home and 6th overall in a time of 28.48 (2nd MV45), closely followed by Sean Connolly (9th) achieving a PB of 30.01.
Other results are: Josh Seale (39th) 34.02; Nigel Seale beating his previous time by more than two minutes (40th and 2nd MV55); David Brammer (41st and 3rd MV55) 34.32; Paul Wiegand (61st) 36.01; Aaron Petts (81st) completing his first five mile race in 37.48; Andy Wicklen (82nd) 37.55; Jane Greenwood (112th and 1st FV60) 39.59; Barbara Welbourn (49.25 and a PB) 49.25 and Lucy Hicks (188th) 49.48 which was also a PB.
Two of the members’ children, Madison Hicks and Shay Connelly, also took part in the 3k Fun Run which was held just before the main race.
It was the first time they had raced that distance, finishing with impressive results - Madison FU11 (30th) 21.03 and Shay MU11 (22nd) 16.51 out of 38 finishers.
The Peterborough Grand Prix Series is run over five different events, from June to August, held at Eye, Stamford, Werrington and twice at Ferry Meadows.
Participants score points from their race finishing position at each event and prizes are awarded for the three best results from each of the five races.