Fenland Running Club step out in style
- Credit: Archant
Seven members of the Fenland Running Club took part in the 10 mile race as part of the annual Heckington Show in association with the Sleaford Striders Athletics Club.
It is the oldest race in the Midlands with the first race being held in 1965.
It is a fast, relatively flat course within the Lincolnshire Fens and hugely popular- the race sold out in 73 days.
Fenland Running Club braved the head wind on the second half of the course with Carol Bowett coming in as 1st Fenland lady, smashing her time from last year by 7 minutes and an overall 5 minute personal best in a time of 1:17:43.
Steve Bennington also celebrated a personal best of 5 mins 19 secs in a time of 1:16:19.
You may also want to watch:
Maire Kay exceeded her expectations- starting at the back and with hamstring concerns Maire had a great race and knuckled down in spectacular fashion to win the 1st Vet 50 prize in a time of 1:21:26, with Jac Richards winning 2nd Vet 50 in a time of 1:30:59.
First Fenland Male home was Graham Milham in a great time of 1:06:05.
- 1 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 2 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 3 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 4 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 5 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 6 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 7 Election 2021: Tories win Whittlesey by-elections
- 8 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Wimblington murder probe: first photo of victim
Full results:- Graham Milham 1:06:05, Andre Pittock 1:12:55, Steve Bennington 1:16:19 (PB), Carol Bowett 1:17:42 (PB), Maire Kay 1:21:26, Jac Richards 1:30:59, Lucy Hicks 1:52:09
Club members were out again for the annual Littleport 10k race.
A multi-terrain, mostly road but some tracks and off road elements makes this a fast and mostly flat course.
Two of Fenland’s finest faced off the gales and drizzle throughout the race of 260 runners.
Paul Wiegand placed 66th with a time of 45:35 while Chris Anderson knocked off 6 mins on last year to place 231st with a time of 1:05:12.
It was not over until the junior 1.5k run was complete and Bernie Anderson completed this in a blistering speed of 9:22 and Billy Anderson not far behind with 11:34.