ATHLETICS: Fenland Running Club impress at recent 10k events amid problematic conditions
- Credit: Archant
Fenland Running Club (FRC) secured some impressive results despite weather conditions causing havoc.
The Run Norwich 10k on July 21 saw four FRC members take part amid 6,198 other runners, in a race that passed the likes of Norwich castle and the home of Norwich City FC, with Claudia Milburn first home followed by her father Ian.
Claudia Milburn 48:02 (934th); Ian Milburn 50:16 (third in his age category - 1,338th overall); Stacie Mann 56:58 (2,706th) and Lucy Hicks 1:04:34 (4,154th).
Seven FRC runners participated in the popular Heckington 10-miler on Saturday, three of them finishing with personal bests (PB) despite the race becoming a "torrential ten" mile event as the summer storm clouds deluged runners.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Bennington was first home in 1:12:29 ahead of Gary Clifford in 1:14:59.
The pair rivalled each other over much of the course that comprised two laps from the village to Star Fen and back.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 4 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 5 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 6 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 7 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 8 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 9 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 10 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
Adrian Searle was delighted with his time after chasing the pair down in 1:27:20.
FRC's women performed well around the wet two-lap circuit, with Jac Richards first over the line in 1:33:41, followed by Tracy Adams and Julie Garner who ran together for much of the route and Barbara Welbourn completing the septet in 1:45:37.
Steve Bennington 1:12-29 PB (66th); Gary Clifford 1:14:59 PB (84th); Adrian Searle 1:27:20 PB (169th); Jackie Richards 1:33:41 (211th); Tracy Adams 1:39:07 (261st); Julie Garner 1:40:43 (268th) and Barbara Welbourn 1:45:37 (571st).
Rachael Nichols flew the FRC flag at a very wet Littleport 10k on Sunday, completing the multi-terrain course in a time of 56:08.