Fenland Running Club star Becky Cousins claims top-10 finish at Duathlon World Championships
FENLAND Running Club star Becky Cousins has vowed to keep improving after she powered to a top-10 finish at the Duathlon World Championships.
The 23-year-old returned from her first international competition in Nancy, France, with an impressive ninth-placed finish in the Under-23 category.
The Great Britain ace ran 10km, cycled 40km and then ran another 5km in two hours and 40 minutes, but a mix-up with the bike section meant she could have finished even quicker.
The complex cycle route prompted a number of riders, including Cousins, to complete six laps instead of the necessary five.
“I was pretty gutted about the extra lap as it cost me quite a lot of time,” said Cousins. “The mistake added an extra 20 minutes and cost me several places.
You may also want to watch:
“On the final run, I was the third fastest but I’d lost a bit of confidence by then.”
Cousins, of Sutton Bridge, said she was “proud to have had the opportunity to race for the country” and is confident that she can continue to improve.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 4 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 5 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 6 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 7 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 8 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 9 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
She will aim to qualify for the both the world and European championships next year.
Cousins trains with Fenland Running Club under head coach Robin Parker. She became a surprise addition to the national duathlon side after she finished second in a qualifying race in Cambridge in April.