Fenland’s runners dazzle at popular New Year’s Eve races
RUNNERS from across the district ended 2011 in sparkling form as they tackled popular New Year’s Eve races.
March Athletic Club’s Debra Wait won the Vet 45 category at Ely Runners’ New Year’s Eve 10km race with a time of 42 minutes and 59 seconds.
Wait, who crossed the line 116th out of 579 finishers, was joined by three fellow March AC vets in tasting glory on the day - although their success came at the Waterside five-mile race in Buckden.
Frances Cooke won the 1st Vet 55 prize, Maura Brown lifted the 1st Vet 65 crown while Pat Brown triumphed in the 1st Vet 70 section. Darren Moat was March’s first runner home at the event in a field of 240.
Twenty Fenland Running Club members also took part in Ely’s popular Little Downham race with Tim Chapman crossing the line first for his team.
You may also want to watch:
Chapman finished 68th in a time of 40 minutes and 12 seconds. He finished just four places behind March AC’s first runner home, Andrew Larham, who completed the one-lap course just 11 seconds quicker.
FRC’s best result came from Ian Milburn who finished second in the male Vet 65 category after finishing the course in 45 minutes and 34 seconds.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 3 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 4 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 7 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 8 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
March Athletic Club
Ely Runners’ 10km: Andrew Larham, 64th, 40.01; Debra Wait, 116th, 42.59; Geraldine Emmins, 208th, 46.26; Tim Boyd, 223rd, 47.09; Barry Freeman, 242nd, 47.42; Stephen Cowell, 407th, 55.00; Pauline Boyd, 502nd, 1.01.08; Sue Ward, 560th, 1.08.07 and Sue Bird, 561st, 1.08.07
Waterside five-mile: Darren Moat, 51st, 34.09; Frances Cooke, 98th, 38.11l Martin Littlemore, 174th, 43.54; Pat Brown, 189th, 46.35; Fay Scrivener, 200th, 48.22 and Maura Brown, 240th, 1.06.25
Fenland Running Club
Ely Runners’ 10km: Tim Chapman, 68th, 40.12; Andre Pittock, 94th, 42.05; Richard Dix, 100th, 42.24; Richard Hammond, 103rd, 42.27; Andrew Osborne-Smith, 137th, 43.47; Katie Ward, 169th, 45.05; Ian Milburn, 183rd, 45.34; Ann Trett, 188th, 45.41; John Chapman, 197th, 46.03; Clive Harrod, 209th, 46.27; Pasquale Ruggiero, 239th, 47.41; Maire Irlam, 280th, 49.26; Sue Atter, 322nd, 51.08; Adam Oakes, 360th, 53.02; Jane Greenwood, 375th, 53.31; Michelle Gilbert, 416th, 55.29; Sarah Guavin, 425th, 55.43; Laura Arnold, 448th, 56.42; Sue George, 465th, 56.42 and Colin Simpson, 466th, 58.08.