Fenland’s runners dazzle at popular New Year’s Eve races
RUNNERS from across the district ended 2011 in sparkling form as they tackled popular New Year’s Eve races.
March Athletic Club’s Debra Wait won the Vet 45 category at Ely Runners’ New Year’s Eve 10km race with a time of 42 minutes and 59 seconds.
Wait, who crossed the line 116th out of 579 finishers, was joined by three fellow March AC vets in tasting glory on the day - although their success came at the Waterside five-mile race in Buckden.
Frances Cooke won the 1st Vet 55 prize, Maura Brown lifted the 1st Vet 65 crown while Pat Brown triumphed in the 1st Vet 70 section. Darren Moat was March’s first runner home at the event in a field of 240.
Twenty Fenland Running Club members also took part in Ely’s popular Little Downham race with Tim Chapman crossing the line first for his team.
Chapman finished 68th in a time of 40 minutes and 12 seconds. He finished just four places behind March AC’s first runner home, Andrew Larham, who completed the one-lap course just 11 seconds quicker.
FRC’s best result came from Ian Milburn who finished second in the male Vet 65 category after finishing the course in 45 minutes and 34 seconds.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 3 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 4 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 7 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 8 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 9 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 10 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
March Athletic Club
Ely Runners’ 10km: Andrew Larham, 64th, 40.01; Debra Wait, 116th, 42.59; Geraldine Emmins, 208th, 46.26; Tim Boyd, 223rd, 47.09; Barry Freeman, 242nd, 47.42; Stephen Cowell, 407th, 55.00; Pauline Boyd, 502nd, 1.01.08; Sue Ward, 560th, 1.08.07 and Sue Bird, 561st, 1.08.07
Waterside five-mile: Darren Moat, 51st, 34.09; Frances Cooke, 98th, 38.11l Martin Littlemore, 174th, 43.54; Pat Brown, 189th, 46.35; Fay Scrivener, 200th, 48.22 and Maura Brown, 240th, 1.06.25
Fenland Running Club
Ely Runners’ 10km: Tim Chapman, 68th, 40.12; Andre Pittock, 94th, 42.05; Richard Dix, 100th, 42.24; Richard Hammond, 103rd, 42.27; Andrew Osborne-Smith, 137th, 43.47; Katie Ward, 169th, 45.05; Ian Milburn, 183rd, 45.34; Ann Trett, 188th, 45.41; John Chapman, 197th, 46.03; Clive Harrod, 209th, 46.27; Pasquale Ruggiero, 239th, 47.41; Maire Irlam, 280th, 49.26; Sue Atter, 322nd, 51.08; Adam Oakes, 360th, 53.02; Jane Greenwood, 375th, 53.31; Michelle Gilbert, 416th, 55.29; Sarah Guavin, 425th, 55.43; Laura Arnold, 448th, 56.42; Sue George, 465th, 56.42 and Colin Simpson, 466th, 58.08.