Fenland set for cycling invasion as 5,000 riders sign up for first Tour of Cambridgeshire gran fondo
- Credit: Archant
Five thousand riders have signed up for the first running of the Tour of Cambridgeshire gran fondo.
As well as riders from the UK and Ireland, entries have come in from the USA, Russia and Hong Kong.
The event, which includes a UCI World Cycling Tour time trial, takes place on June 6-7. It is made up of a 17-mile (28km) time trial on June 6, with a 78-mile (126km) gran fondo on June 7.
There is a prize for the fastest rider – £1500 for both the fastest male and female participants over the weekend.
Organiser Vericool Sports Management has 10,000 places available for Sunday’s ride, although the time trial is full to capacity after selling out its 700 places in less than a week.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on the event, and online entry, visit www.tourofcambridgeshire.com.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 7 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 10 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police