Fenland set for cycling invasion as 5,000 riders sign up for first Tour of Cambridgeshire gran fondo
- Credit: Archant
Five thousand riders have signed up for the first running of the Tour of Cambridgeshire gran fondo.
As well as riders from the UK and Ireland, entries have come in from the USA, Russia and Hong Kong.
The event, which includes a UCI World Cycling Tour time trial, takes place on June 6-7. It is made up of a 17-mile (28km) time trial on June 6, with a 78-mile (126km) gran fondo on June 7.
There is a prize for the fastest rider – £1500 for both the fastest male and female participants over the weekend.
Organiser Vericool Sports Management has 10,000 places available for Sunday’s ride, although the time trial is full to capacity after selling out its 700 places in less than a week.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on the event, and online entry, visit www.tourofcambridgeshire.com.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 10 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land