Fenland swimming trio shine in Sheffield as Knight picks up five more gold medals
THREE former Wisbech Swimming Club members shone at the Level 1 Rotherham Metro Open meet in Sheffield at the weekend.
Lee Clarke, Emily Pilbeam and Liam Knight - who all compete for City of Peterborough Swimming Club (COPS) - starred at the showcase event which attracts top swimmers from all over the UK.
Knight, 16, from Wisbech, continued his recent excellent form to bring home golds in five events, again improving his own Cambridgeshire county records in the process. He set a personal best time of 58.90s in the 100m backstroke to strengthen his position as the number one 16-year-old in Great Britian for the event.
The sensational swimmer also tasted success in the 200m backstroke, 200m and 400m individual medley and 50m butterfly. Knight also picked up a bronze medal in the 200m breaststroke.
Clarke set personal bests in eight of the nine races he competed in with his highest finish, fourth, coming in the 100m freestyle. The Guyhirn swimmer, 12, finished eighth out of 46 boys who entered the meet in his age group.
You may also want to watch:
Pilbeam, from Emneth, continued her rapid improvement under COPS head coach Ben Negus setting personal bests in all of her races.
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 3 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 8 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 9 Alligator-owning farmer stars in new Ross Kemp ITV documentary
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely