Fenlands finest runners travel to Manchester to tackle first marathon of the season
- Credit: Archant
Runners from around Fenland took the long trip up north to take on the Manchester Marathon last weekend.
Athletes from Fenland Running Club, March Athletics Club and Thorney Athletics Club laced up their running shoes to take part in the first race of the Spring Marathon series – known as one of the flattest courses in the country.
12 runners from FRC, three from March and two from Thorney helped make up a 9,500 strong contingent last Sunday, with FRC’s Rod Sinnott, Nicky Jennings, Ellen Connolly and Sarah Rippon all bagging personal bests.
Graham Millham, Marc Martin, Ian King and Tracy Else were all first time runners for the club, with Sinnott coming home first in a time of three hours, 13 minutes and 40 seconds.
For March AC, Jevan Roberton sprinted over the line in a super-quick time of three hours, two minutes and nine seconds, with Mick Stacey finishing close behind in three hours, nine minutes and 26 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Gaelle Bryant was third home for March, crossing the line with a time of four hours, 22 minutes and six seconds.
And finally, couple Darren Hire and Jamie Hayden – who was running her first ever full marathon - completed the 26.2 mile course in three hours, 23 minutes and 24 seconds and five hours, 13 minutes and five second respectively.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 8 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 9 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 10 ‘Boris should try to fill in the forms if he thinks they’re so simple’