Ferraby fire dampens Cumberland
CAMBRIDGESHIRE fans at Fenner s will have gone home happy after watching their team record their first Minor Counties victory of the season. With Danny Law unable to get to the ground, the Cambs team were reduced to 10 players for their first innings agai
CAMBRIDGESHIRE fans at Fenner's will have gone home happy after watching their team record their first Minor Counties victory of the season.
With Danny Law unable to get to the ground, the Cambs team were reduced to 10 players for their first innings against Cumberland last week.
However, Nick Ferraby stood up to the Cumberland bowlers and smashed his way to a stunning 146, which included 27 fours, from 189 balls.
Ferraby's efforts gave Cambs a total of 266 and the visitors never really threatened to surpass the score as skipper Ajaz Akhtar (4-67) and Adam Syddall (3-62) took the visitors' wickets at regular intervals and eventually helped to dismiss them for 181 after 53.4 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Akhtar's decision to select Law was justified in Cambs' second innings as he hit 58 and shared a century stand with Ferraby, who was caught just 10 runs short of his second century of the match.
Akhtar's declaration on 227-6 set Cumberland an imposing target of 312 and once again, the visitors were unable to forge a meaningful response under the attack from the home bowlers.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Car blaze was arson say fire chiefs
- 4 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 5 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 6 Zero hygiene rating for East Cambs take-away
- 7 Ledger discovery affords a glimpse of Victorian travel
- 8 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 9 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 10 Fenmen caught napping as Fenland sides suffer weekend pain
Syddall and Akhtar claimed three wickets each as Cumberland were eventually dismissed for 213.
Cambs will look to continue their winning form in to their next Minor Counties match, against Suffolk, which begins on Sunday at the Avenue, in March.