Five-star Sparta ABC end successful year in style
- Credit: Archant
Sparta ABC capped off a knockout year with five victories over the last two weekends.
Boxing prodigy Gracjan Ciureja stepped into the ring on December 5 against his opponent from Heart of Portsmouth and boxed superbly; landing jabs and hooks over three rounds of flowing boxing.
Ciureja took the all three rounds of the fight, winning by unanimous decision, which leaves his record at 11 fights, seven wins and four losses.
Next up for Sparta was Igor Mihailov, who was pulling on his fighting gloves for the second time in as many weeks.
In arguably the most outstanding performance of the night, Igor boxed confidently against his opponent who went into the bout undefeated.
You may also want to watch:
Igor’s combination boxing and hand speed proved too much, and the Sparta fighter was was victorious, leaving his record at 12 fights, nine wins and three losses.
Sparta’s final fighter stepping through the ropes was 17-year-old Toby Herbert, who was taking on an opponent from Colchester.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
Herbert, taking part in his fifth fight in a month, boxed excellently against a tough and durable opponent, winning on a points decision.
Herbert’s fourth win in a month sees his record stand at eight wins and seven losses from 15 fights.
Sparta then took Kacper Ciureja and Richard Smith to a show at Bar Hill last Saturday, and both boxed with skill and poise to triumph.
Kacper took on a more experienced opponent, but eased to victory after three rounds of controlled boxing.
Richard Smith won with an impressive TKO in his first recognised bout after landing a number of crunching right hands on his opponent, eventually forcing him to stay in his corner.
Sparta coaches Matt Lenton and Roy Greenacre were delighted with their club’s fighters, and praised their performances over both weekends.
Lenton said: “It’s been two fantastic weekends for the club and our boxers. I’m very pleased with the way all five boys performed. All of the boys performed exceptionally well and to get seven away wins in less than a month is excellent.”
The Sparta boys are now looking ahead to the New Year, when they will enter the Amateur Boxing Association (ABA) Championships.