Flying winger Veenendaal earns England Counties Under-20 call-up
FLYING winger De La Rey Veenendaal has been selected for the England Counties Under-20 squad after a series of impressive performances.
The rugby star, from Wisbech, caught the eye by scoring a stunning try at the Under-20 Divisional Festival in Leicestershire.
He will be in the England Counties Under-20s squad for their international fixture against Scotland Under-20s on May 4.
The 19-year-old, who has also played rugby for March, represented Oakham School in the Daily Mail Cup Final at Twickenham in 2011, scoring two tries.
He has represented Northampton Saints Academy and helped Bedford Blues Academy win the Under-19 National Colts Cup Final.
• FORMER Wisbech Grammar School pupil Alistair Price scored two tries to help Saracens win the Melrose Sevens.
The 18-year-old, who plays for Saracens-affiliated Bedford Blues and Scotland Under-20s, impressed throughout the tournament.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 3 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 4 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 8 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 9 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 10 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
Scotland legend Scott Hastings even singled him out as man of the match in the final against Jed-Forest.
The Bedford University student has already signed a contract to play championship rugby for Bedford Blues next season.
He is also set to appear for the club’s academy as they bid to win the National Colts Cup for the fifth time in six seasons.