Flying winger Veenendaal earns England Counties Under-20 call-up
FLYING winger De La Rey Veenendaal has been selected for the England Counties Under-20 squad after a series of impressive performances.
The rugby star, from Wisbech, caught the eye by scoring a stunning try at the Under-20 Divisional Festival in Leicestershire.
He will be in the England Counties Under-20s squad for their international fixture against Scotland Under-20s on May 4.
The 19-year-old, who has also played rugby for March, represented Oakham School in the Daily Mail Cup Final at Twickenham in 2011, scoring two tries.
He has represented Northampton Saints Academy and helped Bedford Blues Academy win the Under-19 National Colts Cup Final.
You may also want to watch:
• FORMER Wisbech Grammar School pupil Alistair Price scored two tries to help Saracens win the Melrose Sevens.
The 18-year-old, who plays for Saracens-affiliated Bedford Blues and Scotland Under-20s, impressed throughout the tournament.
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare
- 3 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 4 Road closed and residents without water due to burst water main
- 5 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 6 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 9 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 10 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
Scotland legend Scott Hastings even singled him out as man of the match in the final against Jed-Forest.
The Bedford University student has already signed a contract to play championship rugby for Bedford Blues next season.
He is also set to appear for the club’s academy as they bid to win the National Colts Cup for the fifth time in six seasons.