Football: O’Rourke has to take it as red
England s Hope 2 Crown 1 Wisbech & District Sunday League Match of the Day STAKES were high in this top-of-the-table clash and the early stages reflected both teams desire to win. In an end-to-end opening, Hope had the best chances but Nigel Jackson s sh
England's Hope 2 Crown 1
Wisbech & District Sunday League Match of the Day
STAKES were high in this top-of-the-table clash and the early stages reflected both teams' desire to win.
In an end-to-end opening, Hope had the best chances but Nigel Jackson's shot hit a post.
In the 10th minute, Hope's Lee O'Rourke was adjudged to have pushed Jonny Secker in the area and Secker slotted home the penalty.
The game became more heated and O'Rourke received a red card for comments made to the referee and several other Hope players picked up bookings.
- 1 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 2 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 5 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 8 Leslie transforms his life thanks to remarkable weight loss
- 9 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 10 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
Crown looked to press home their advantage but Hope keeper Pail Eagling made a good save before the home side equalised just before the break. A long throw somehow found its way through to John Readshaw, who finished well.
The second half became a tense affair but 10-man Hope clinched an unlikely victory with 15 minutes remaining.
Lee Peeling made a good save from Dean Jimson but Jonny Collins was first to react and he squared for Lee Readshaw to finish.
Andy Peeling and Darren Hurst were outstanding for Hope while Ben Jimson and Josh Avis impressed for Crown.