Football: O’Rourke has to take it as red
England s Hope 2 Crown 1 Wisbech & District Sunday League Match of the Day STAKES were high in this top-of-the-table clash and the early stages reflected both teams desire to win. In an end-to-end opening, Hope had the best chances but Nigel Jackson s sh
England's Hope 2 Crown 1
Wisbech & District Sunday League Match of the Day
STAKES were high in this top-of-the-table clash and the early stages reflected both teams' desire to win.
In an end-to-end opening, Hope had the best chances but Nigel Jackson's shot hit a post.
You may also want to watch:
In the 10th minute, Hope's Lee O'Rourke was adjudged to have pushed Jonny Secker in the area and Secker slotted home the penalty.
The game became more heated and O'Rourke received a red card for comments made to the referee and several other Hope players picked up bookings.
- 1 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 2 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 4 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 5 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 6 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 7 March Town mark long-awaited return with victory in double-header
- 8 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
Crown looked to press home their advantage but Hope keeper Pail Eagling made a good save before the home side equalised just before the break. A long throw somehow found its way through to John Readshaw, who finished well.
The second half became a tense affair but 10-man Hope clinched an unlikely victory with 15 minutes remaining.
Lee Peeling made a good save from Dean Jimson but Jonny Collins was first to react and he squared for Lee Readshaw to finish.
Andy Peeling and Darren Hurst were outstanding for Hope while Ben Jimson and Josh Avis impressed for Crown.