Football: O’Rourke has to take it as red
England s Hope 2 Crown 1 Wisbech & District Sunday League Match of the Day STAKES were high in this top-of-the-table clash and the early stages reflected both teams desire to win. In an end-to-end opening, Hope had the best chances but Nigel Jackson s sh
England's Hope 2 Crown 1
Wisbech & District Sunday League Match of the Day
STAKES were high in this top-of-the-table clash and the early stages reflected both teams' desire to win.
In an end-to-end opening, Hope had the best chances but Nigel Jackson's shot hit a post.
In the 10th minute, Hope's Lee O'Rourke was adjudged to have pushed Jonny Secker in the area and Secker slotted home the penalty.
The game became more heated and O'Rourke received a red card for comments made to the referee and several other Hope players picked up bookings.
- 1 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 2 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 3 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 100th birthday for Clovelly House resident
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
Crown looked to press home their advantage but Hope keeper Pail Eagling made a good save before the home side equalised just before the break. A long throw somehow found its way through to John Readshaw, who finished well.
The second half became a tense affair but 10-man Hope clinched an unlikely victory with 15 minutes remaining.
Lee Peeling made a good save from Dean Jimson but Jonny Collins was first to react and he squared for Lee Readshaw to finish.
Andy Peeling and Darren Hurst were outstanding for Hope while Ben Jimson and Josh Avis impressed for Crown.