Football: O’Rourke has to take it as red
England s Hope 2 Crown 1 Wisbech & District Sunday League Match of the Day STAKES were high in this top-of-the-table clash and the early stages reflected both teams desire to win. In an end-to-end opening, Hope had the best chances but Nigel Jackson s sh
England's Hope 2 Crown 1
Wisbech & District Sunday League Match of the Day
STAKES were high in this top-of-the-table clash and the early stages reflected both teams' desire to win.
In an end-to-end opening, Hope had the best chances but Nigel Jackson's shot hit a post.
You may also want to watch:
In the 10th minute, Hope's Lee O'Rourke was adjudged to have pushed Jonny Secker in the area and Secker slotted home the penalty.
The game became more heated and O'Rourke received a red card for comments made to the referee and several other Hope players picked up bookings.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 3 Stunning drone footage shows prom night in all its glory
- 4 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 7 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 8 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 9 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 10 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
Crown looked to press home their advantage but Hope keeper Pail Eagling made a good save before the home side equalised just before the break. A long throw somehow found its way through to John Readshaw, who finished well.
The second half became a tense affair but 10-man Hope clinched an unlikely victory with 15 minutes remaining.
Lee Peeling made a good save from Dean Jimson but Jonny Collins was first to react and he squared for Lee Readshaw to finish.
Andy Peeling and Darren Hurst were outstanding for Hope while Ben Jimson and Josh Avis impressed for Crown.