Football: Players reminisce after seeing our picture
WE have received an excellent response to our request for more information on the 1960 March Grammar School football team - including calls from team members themselves! Neville Poole recognised the picture while reading the Cambs Times over Christmas. N
WE have received an excellent response to our request for more information on the 1960 March Grammar School football team - including calls from team members themselves!
Neville Poole recognised the picture while reading the Cambs Times over Christmas.
Neville, from Maxey, near Peterborough, only saw the picture because family members from March took a copy of the Cambs Times to his house when visiting for Christmas.
Neville, 62, said: "I couldn't believe it when I opened the paper and saw the team picture. I have a copy of the same picture and I was able to put names to all the faces."
You may also want to watch:
Roly Frost, from March, also recognised his face in the picture and called in to identify the team members.
He said: "We were not a particularly successful team but there were several others at the school during that time. I have very fond memories of cycling in all weathers to get to matches and I was also a member of the school cricket team."
- 1 £1.5 million food store creates 12 jobs
- 2 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 Organisers plan for low-key return of Chatteris Midsummer Festival
- 5 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 6 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 7 Aldi invites the public to share their views on new Whittlesey store
- 8 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 9 New emergency facilities open at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 10 110-year-old church gates reappear following £400 makeover
Barry Watts, a farmer who now lives in Warboys, was another team member to call in. He said: "It was great to see the picture again. I have lost contact with all of the lads apart from Phil Allen, who now lives in St Neots."
Thanks to these contributions, we have been able to complete the team line up.
Back row: Peter Jones, Brian Rayner Neville Poole, John Hammond, Barry Watts, Phil Allen, Roly Frost.
Front row: Nigel Alexander, Mike Ogden, Geography teacher Michael Simmonds, headmaster Cedric Potter, Paul Carter, Roger English, David Smith.