Football: Players reminisce after seeing our picture
WE have received an excellent response to our request for more information on the 1960 March Grammar School football team - including calls from team members themselves! Neville Poole recognised the picture while reading the Cambs Times over Christmas. N
WE have received an excellent response to our request for more information on the 1960 March Grammar School football team - including calls from team members themselves!
Neville Poole recognised the picture while reading the Cambs Times over Christmas.
Neville, from Maxey, near Peterborough, only saw the picture because family members from March took a copy of the Cambs Times to his house when visiting for Christmas.
Neville, 62, said: "I couldn't believe it when I opened the paper and saw the team picture. I have a copy of the same picture and I was able to put names to all the faces."
Roly Frost, from March, also recognised his face in the picture and called in to identify the team members.
He said: "We were not a particularly successful team but there were several others at the school during that time. I have very fond memories of cycling in all weathers to get to matches and I was also a member of the school cricket team."
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 9 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 10 Woman in court over town pub burglary
Barry Watts, a farmer who now lives in Warboys, was another team member to call in. He said: "It was great to see the picture again. I have lost contact with all of the lads apart from Phil Allen, who now lives in St Neots."
Thanks to these contributions, we have been able to complete the team line up.
Back row: Peter Jones, Brian Rayner Neville Poole, John Hammond, Barry Watts, Phil Allen, Roly Frost.
Front row: Nigel Alexander, Mike Ogden, Geography teacher Michael Simmonds, headmaster Cedric Potter, Paul Carter, Roger English, David Smith.