Football round-up: case of deja vu as Wisbech St Mary Reserves set up North Cambs Junior Cup final date with March Town Reserves

Chatteris Town Reserves v March Town Reserves. Picture: Steve Williams.

Chatteris Town Reserves v March Town Reserves. Picture: Steve Williams. - Credit: Archant

There will be a familiar look to the North Cambs Junior Cup final again this season.

Holders Wisbech St Mary Reserves will face March Town Reserves in the battle for silverware for the second successive campaign.

The double-chasing Saints second string, who are within touching distance of the Cambs League Division 1B title, booked their return ticket with a fine 2-0 derby win at Wisbech Town Reserves last Saturday.

They will now be back at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium for the final showdown on April 6, hoping to emulate their success last term when edging out the Hares side on penalties.

Delighted Saints boss Gary Haime said: “It was a big occasion and we are delighted to have booked our place in the final for the third season running.

“We are expecting a very tough game against March. They are the only team to beat us in the Cambs League this season and they’ll certainly want revenge after we beat them in the final last season.

“The beauty of the North Cambs Cup is that virtually every tie is a local derby. It generates plenty of excitement.

Most Read

That was certainly the case at the semi-final stage last Saturday.

Jack Mockford fired an early opener for the Saints lads against Town Reserves only to be shown a red card after a quarter-of-an-hour for an over-exuberant challenge.

But Saints made light of their numerical disadvantage to double their advantage just before the hour through Aaron McKenna.

They comfortably preserved that cushion with stand-out performances from defender Stuart Beckett and midfield man Kevin Smith.

Hosts Town were reduced to nine men with Charlie Talmage and Jack Newman being dismissed – and they picked up a third red card when goalkeeper James Barwick threw a punch after the final whistle.

Haime added: “I’m delighted with how my young team is progressing this season and we’d love to do a double. We have a great bunch of young players who go about things the right way and love to express themselves.”

March Reserves booked their final berth with a smooth 3-0 victory against Chatteris Town Reserves.

Adam Conyard, Luke Pepper and Jermaine Watson hit the goals.

The Wisbech St Mary first team kept themselves in the Cambs League Kershaw Premier Division title hunt with a valuable point. Alex Knowles and James McManus hit their goals in a 2-2 draw at Hardwick.

Senior A Division leaders Outwell Swifts suffered their second defeat of the season when going down 2-1 at Royston Town A, but they remain eight points clear at the summit.

Form team Chatteris Fen Tigers extended their terrific winning streak to eight matches with derby success in Division 3B.

Anthony Bulbrook, Nathan Cooper and Nick Streets struck to earn the latest victory for a side who last tasted defeat in December.

They are set to face an acid test tomorrow though when meeting unbeaten leaders AFC Barley Mow.

Veteran striker Liam Harrold starred as Whittlesey Athletic maintained their Peterborough & District League Premier Division title chase.

Goal-king Harrold hit a hat-trick to earn the second-placed side a 3-1 success at lowly Crowland. Athletic remain three points behind leaders Moulton Harrox.