Football round-up: defender Ryan relishes stint in goal for Wisbech St Mary A
- Credit: Archant
Luke Ryan solved a goalkeeping crisis in fine style for Wisbech St Mary A last Saturday.
The full-back donned the gloves in the absence of the team’s regular shot-stopper and delivered an impressive display during a 1-1 draw at Mepal Sports in Division 2B of the Cambs League.
Mariusz Kudyba found the net for the Saints side as they retained their top-six position in the table.
The Wisbech St Mary first team also picked up a point in the Kershaw Premier Division. Ricky Bowden hit their goal in a 1-1 deadlock at West Wratting.
Gary Haime’s all conquering Saints Reserves took another step towards the Division 1B crown as Edgaras Buzas and Aaron McKenna goals earned a 2-0 victory against Over Sports Reserves.
You may also want to watch:
The club’s B team saw off West Row Gunners by the same scoreline in Division 3B and the C side edged out Chatteris A 3-2 in Division 4B.
Outwell Swifts are another local side homing in on title honours.
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 8 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
They strengthened their grip on top spot in Kershaw Senior A Division courtesy of a 2-0 derby triumph against Chatteris Town.
Mark Secker and substitute Ricky Gunns hit the goals to preserve an eight-point advantage at the summit while the defeat dents the Lillies’ promotion hopes.
Ben Lemmon and James Harness shot March Town Reserves to a 2-1 success at bottom side Milton Reserves in Division 1B.
Chatteris Reserves drew a blank as they battled out a goalless draw against Huntingdon United in the same section.
Elliott Batizovszky hit a consolation goal as Chatteris Fen Tigers’ saw their sparkling run of form ended in Division 3B.
The Tigers lads had reeled off eight successive victories before being beaten 5-1 by runaway leaders AFC Barley Mow. Their last defeat had also been at the hands of the Huntingdon side back in December.
March Rangers picked up a valuable point in Division 4B when sharing four goals at Isleham Warriors.