Former world record holder and Commonwealth Games gold medallist runner Dave Moorcroft pays March Soccer School a visit
- Credit: Archant
Young footballers came face to face with a former World Record holder and Commonwealth Champion at a soccer camp last week.
Dave Moorcroft OBE visited March Soccer School’s summer course and presented chairman Tony Russell and the club’s volunteers with certificates for their tireless work promoting grassroots sport.
Moorcroft won gold in the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton at 1,500 metres and in 1982 he broke the 5,000m world record by almost six seconds. His time of 13.00.41, set at the Bislett Games in Oslo, stood for three years.
Moorcroft also won gold in the 5,000m at the 1982 Commonwealth Games in Brisbane. He received an MBE in 1983 and an OBE in 1998 for services to British sport.
March Soccer School, which was founded in 1992, provides opportunities for children of all abilities with the emphasis on fun, development and enjoyment.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on March Soccer School and any of the 15 youth teams, for both boys and girls, ranging from under-7s to under-15s e-mail email@example.com or call Tony on 01354 651643 or Katie 07753 690393.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 5 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 6 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 7 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 8 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 9 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 10 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal