Former world record holder and Commonwealth Games gold medallist runner Dave Moorcroft pays March Soccer School a visit
- Credit: Archant
Young footballers came face to face with a former World Record holder and Commonwealth Champion at a soccer camp last week.
Dave Moorcroft OBE visited March Soccer School’s summer course and presented chairman Tony Russell and the club’s volunteers with certificates for their tireless work promoting grassroots sport.
Moorcroft won gold in the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton at 1,500 metres and in 1982 he broke the 5,000m world record by almost six seconds. His time of 13.00.41, set at the Bislett Games in Oslo, stood for three years.
Moorcroft also won gold in the 5,000m at the 1982 Commonwealth Games in Brisbane. He received an MBE in 1983 and an OBE in 1998 for services to British sport.
March Soccer School, which was founded in 1992, provides opportunities for children of all abilities with the emphasis on fun, development and enjoyment.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on March Soccer School and any of the 15 youth teams, for both boys and girls, ranging from under-7s to under-15s e-mail email@example.com or call Tony on 01354 651643 or Katie 07753 690393.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies