Former world record holder and Commonwealth Games gold medallist runner Dave Moorcroft pays March Soccer School a visit
- Credit: Archant
Young footballers came face to face with a former World Record holder and Commonwealth Champion at a soccer camp last week.
Dave Moorcroft OBE visited March Soccer School’s summer course and presented chairman Tony Russell and the club’s volunteers with certificates for their tireless work promoting grassroots sport.
Moorcroft won gold in the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton at 1,500 metres and in 1982 he broke the 5,000m world record by almost six seconds. His time of 13.00.41, set at the Bislett Games in Oslo, stood for three years.
Moorcroft also won gold in the 5,000m at the 1982 Commonwealth Games in Brisbane. He received an MBE in 1983 and an OBE in 1998 for services to British sport.
March Soccer School, which was founded in 1992, provides opportunities for children of all abilities with the emphasis on fun, development and enjoyment.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on March Soccer School and any of the 15 youth teams, for both boys and girls, ranging from under-7s to under-15s e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tony on 01354 651643 or Katie 07753 690393.
- 1 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 2 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 3 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 4 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 5 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 8 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 9 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre