Formula for maximum excitement
THE 750 Motor Club s SaxMax Championship gets off the line on Sunday, and Wisbech-based motor racing team Maxtreme will have two drivers challenging for the title. The highly-competitive formula is designed for drivers aged between 14 and 17 years old and
THE 750 Motor Club's SaxMax Championship gets off the line on Sunday, and Wisbech-based motor racing team Maxtreme will have two drivers challenging for the title.
The highly-competitive formula is designed for drivers aged between 14 and 17 years old and Maxtreme company director Liam McMillan is the perfect example of how far SaxMax drivers can go.
Liam, 17, won last year's inaugural championship after winning 11 of the 12 races and qualifying on pole position for every race.
This season, Liam will be the youngest driver to compete in the Blaupunkt SEAT Cupra Championship, but he is also confident that his two drivers can challenge for SaxMax glory.
The Maxtreme Citroen Saxos will be driven by Tommy Davison, from Lichfield, and Sam Schofield, from Essex, both aged 16 years old.
Liam said: "Sam and Tommy are very good young drivers. Sam comes from a Rallycross background and can be a very aggressive driver, while Tommy is a little smoother and is usually challenging for a podium result.
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 3 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 5 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 6 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 7 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 8 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 9 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
"The competition will be tough as there are some really good drivers in this year's championship, like Chris Palmer, Jake Farndon, Joe Ferguson and James Coburn.
"But Sam and Tommy have the ability to race with the best of them and battle for the title. They will be there or thereabouts."
Both will drive cars previously raced by Liam. Tommy will race last season's championship-winning Saxo and Sam will race the car in which Liam won both his races at the 2006 Junior Festival at Brands Hatch.
- READ the Cambs Times and Wisbech Standard for the latest news of the 2007 SaxMax Championship and Liam's historic season in the Blaupunkt SEAT Cupra Championship.
2007 SaxMax Championship:
March 25 - Donington Park; April 7 - Snetterton; May 19-20 - Brands Hatch; June 23-24 - Pembrey; August 18 - Silverstone; September 8 - Oulton Park; October 27 - Brands Hatch.