Frankham ready for second professional bout
- Credit: Archant
ELI Frankham says he is better and fitter than ever as he prepares to step back in the ring on Saturday.
The 20 year-old cruiserweight, from Walpole St Andrew, takes on 75-fight veteran Simeon Cover in front of his home crowd at Peterborough Arena.
Frankham impressed in his only previous professional fight, overcoming the vastly more experienced Paul Morris last month.
He said: “I can’t wait. I just want to fight. I already have another bout planned after this one.
“If I had it my way I would fight every week but you obviously can’t do that because you have to prepare properly and maintain a good level of fitness for each bout.
You may also want to watch:
“Everything is going to plan. All the hard work has already been done so this week has been about ticking over. I’ve worked harder than ever and I’m the fittest I’ve been.”
Frankham is under no illusions about the size of challenge that awaits him.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
He said: “Simeon’s had more than 70 fights so he’s a very experienced fighter, who has rarely been stopped.
“He is very durable and I’m expecting a hard night’s work.
“The opponents I’ve been put up against in my first two fights are quite testing for a novice, which is what I am because my amateur experience does not mean anything.”
Frankham has been sparring against a host of different fighters including former British and Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion Michael Sprott and cruiserweight contender Menay Edwards, who fights for the vacant Southern Area title on June 29.
He said: “I’ve been sparring against as many different styles as possible because you never know who you are going to be pitted against. A fighter could drop out at any moment.
“I’ve even been in the ring with welterweights.”
Tickets for the bout are £30 for standard, £50 for ringside and £75 for VIP, which includes dinner.
To get hold of one call Vanessa on 01945 781386 or 07766 060147
You can follow Eli on Twitter @Eli_frankham