Freear misses out on century but Wisbech Cricket Club claim dominant win
- Credit: Archant
CRAIG Johnson’s six wicket haul and Gary Freear’s unbeaten 97 helped Wisbech Cricket Club secure a commanding 132 run win over St Ives Town CC on Saturday.
The result moves them to within a point of leaders March Town Cricket Club at the top of the Tucker Gardner League.
Captain Alan Burton said: “I’ve always said three or four teams will be fighting it out for the league at the end of the season but if we play to our potential we will be hard to beat.”
Wisbech batted first and looked in trouble at 55-4 but the middle order produced a sterling fightback to lead them to 243-6.
Freear received excellent support from Danny Haynes, who made 31, and Jack Hastings, who scored a blistering 52.
You may also want to watch:
In reply, Johnson (6-44) and overseas star Bradley Perrett (3-15) combined with devastating effect as St Ives were skittled out for 111.
Burton said: “I’m very happy with the result. We got ourselves into a poor position at 55-4 but Freear, Johnson and Hastings played some very clever cricket to get us to 240, which was far more than we needed.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Photographer captures the ‘sonic boom’ RAF Typhoon on camera
- 4 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 5 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 6 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 7 Pedestrian dies at scene of crash
- 8 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 9 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
“Johnson bowled superbly and received good support from Perrett.”
Burton reserved special praise for Freear, who narrowly missed out on a century.
He said: “It was a very important knock. He struggled at first and scored slowly but he hung in there and showed great character.
“He got himself in and kicked on at the end of the innings.”
Wisbech is next in action at home against Sawston CC tomorrow.