Freear misses out on century but Wisbech Cricket Club claim dominant win
- Credit: Archant
CRAIG Johnson’s six wicket haul and Gary Freear’s unbeaten 97 helped Wisbech Cricket Club secure a commanding 132 run win over St Ives Town CC on Saturday.
The result moves them to within a point of leaders March Town Cricket Club at the top of the Tucker Gardner League.
Captain Alan Burton said: “I’ve always said three or four teams will be fighting it out for the league at the end of the season but if we play to our potential we will be hard to beat.”
Wisbech batted first and looked in trouble at 55-4 but the middle order produced a sterling fightback to lead them to 243-6.
Freear received excellent support from Danny Haynes, who made 31, and Jack Hastings, who scored a blistering 52.
You may also want to watch:
In reply, Johnson (6-44) and overseas star Bradley Perrett (3-15) combined with devastating effect as St Ives were skittled out for 111.
Burton said: “I’m very happy with the result. We got ourselves into a poor position at 55-4 but Freear, Johnson and Hastings played some very clever cricket to get us to 240, which was far more than we needed.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 Bombshell result in village polls leaves 115 homes plan in doubt
- 3 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 6 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 7 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
- 8 Lorry driver makes a fundamental error at Fenland roundabout...
- 9 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 10 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
“Johnson bowled superbly and received good support from Perrett.”
Burton reserved special praise for Freear, who narrowly missed out on a century.
He said: “It was a very important knock. He struggled at first and scored slowly but he hung in there and showed great character.
“He got himself in and kicked on at the end of the innings.”
Wisbech is next in action at home against Sawston CC tomorrow.