Freezing conditions hit football fixtures but Fenland village side strip down for impromptu training session
THE wintry conditions saw the majority of football games postponed at the weekend but a Fenland village team shrugged off the weather to take part in a training session with a cold twist.
The Outwell Swifts were due to play Ely City ‘A’ on Saturday in a Cambridgeshire Kershaw Senior B league game but the match was cancelled due to a frozen pitch.
But rather than hit the pub or put their feet up at home in front of a fire, the vast majority of the squad turned out to keep their fitness up ahead of the festive period.
The cold weather, however, didn’t seem to be a problem for the team - who were hammered 8 - 0 away at Longstanton last week - as they stripped off and trained in just their boxers and boots.
Centre back David Blackmore said: “When the idea was first mooted, I thought they must’ve been having a laugh because there was no way I was stripping off to train in sub-zero conditions.
“But after the first two took off their warm clothing, the rest soon followed suit, probably due to peer pressure, and we just carried on training - as you do.
“It was absolutely freezing but we got through it and the shower after training was probably the best I’ve ever had.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 3 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 4 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 5 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 6 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
- 9 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
- 10 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
“I don’t think it will be something we will be trying again for say our warm up ahead of our next game.”
The Swifts are back in Kershaw Senior B action against Cambridge City Reserves on Saturday, January 8 at the Outwell Playing Fields.