Freezing conditions hit football fixtures but Fenland village side strip down for impromptu training session
THE wintry conditions saw the majority of football games postponed at the weekend but a Fenland village team shrugged off the weather to take part in a training session with a cold twist.
The Outwell Swifts were due to play Ely City ‘A’ on Saturday in a Cambridgeshire Kershaw Senior B league game but the match was cancelled due to a frozen pitch.
But rather than hit the pub or put their feet up at home in front of a fire, the vast majority of the squad turned out to keep their fitness up ahead of the festive period.
The cold weather, however, didn’t seem to be a problem for the team - who were hammered 8 - 0 away at Longstanton last week - as they stripped off and trained in just their boxers and boots.
Centre back David Blackmore said: “When the idea was first mooted, I thought they must’ve been having a laugh because there was no way I was stripping off to train in sub-zero conditions.
You may also want to watch:
“But after the first two took off their warm clothing, the rest soon followed suit, probably due to peer pressure, and we just carried on training - as you do.
“It was absolutely freezing but we got through it and the shower after training was probably the best I’ve ever had.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 3 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 4 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 7 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 8 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 9 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 10 Man sentenced for carrying knife after 'someone threatened'
“I don’t think it will be something we will be trying again for say our warm up ahead of our next game.”
The Swifts are back in Kershaw Senior B action against Cambridge City Reserves on Saturday, January 8 at the Outwell Playing Fields.