From Fenland to Fuerteventura: Chatteris boxing coach Paul Gill puts IBF welterweight world champion Kell Brook through his paces
- Credit: Archant
He is used to training Fenland’s finest boxers, but coach Paul Gill recently found himself on the end of hooks, jabs and upppercuts from one of the world’s best fighters as he donned the pads to put IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook through his paces.
Paul, father of Chatteris boxing star Jordan Gill, went toe-to-toe with 30-year-old Brook and put him through a series of drills at his training camp in Fuerteventura ahead of his fight with undisputed middleweight champion Golovkin at the O2 Arena on September 10.
He said: “This fight is being tipped as the most exciting fight this year. Kell has moved up two weight divisions to fight Golovkin.
“It was intensive training – wake, train, eat, rest and repeat. There was a variety of sessions such as sparring, strength and conditioning, pad work and track runs to name a few.
“The experience of being with world class professional boxers, all unique, self-motivated and hardworking was inspiring – I even did a bit of training myself!”
Gill travelled to the Canary Islands alongside Jordan and fellow Ingle Gym boxers Kid Galahad and Leigh Wood on Brook’s three-week training camp at the end of July, and 21-year-old Jordan was pleased to have his father join him.
“It was great having Dad with me on camp,” he said. “The other lads enjoyed it too. We got extra pad work in between training sessions and we had a good laugh.”
- 1 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 2 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 3 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 4 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 7 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 8 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 9 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 10 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops