Future Fenland tennis aces showcase their skills during Chatteris club’s 12-week programme
- Credit: Archant
As we welcome Wimbledon back for another year, the future stars of Fenland’s tennis scene have been reaching for their rackets at a club in Chatteirs as part of a 12-week course to hone their skills.
Chatteris St Peter’s Tennis Club, based at St. Peter’s Drive, has been hosting weekly tennis sessions every Sunday for the past 10 weeks in their attempt to encourage youngsters into the sport – and maybe find a future Wimbledon champion along the way.
55 youngsters, split into five groups, go through a variety of drills, such as forehand and backhand training, and learning how to improve their serve.
The sessions have been so popular this year that the club was forced to increase the number of groups from four to five, and junior section co-ordinator, Lindsay Allen, says they have been a roaring success.
“The children are absolutely loving it,” she said. “I’ve seen such a big difference in how they play in such a short period of time.
You may also want to watch:
“We want them all to have fun - that’s the main thing - but they’ve all shown real promise.”
The 12-week programme, organised in conjunction with the LK Tennis Academy in Wisbech, has two weeks left and the club is set to hold a mini tournament for its final session before taking a summer break.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 4 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 5 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 6 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 7 Wright hopes overseas ace's return boosts March Town play-off hopes
- 8 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 9 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
For more information, visit www.chatteristennis.com.