Future Fenland tennis aces showcase their skills during Chatteris club’s 12-week programme
- Credit: Archant
As we welcome Wimbledon back for another year, the future stars of Fenland’s tennis scene have been reaching for their rackets at a club in Chatteirs as part of a 12-week course to hone their skills.
Chatteris St Peter’s Tennis Club, based at St. Peter’s Drive, has been hosting weekly tennis sessions every Sunday for the past 10 weeks in their attempt to encourage youngsters into the sport – and maybe find a future Wimbledon champion along the way.
55 youngsters, split into five groups, go through a variety of drills, such as forehand and backhand training, and learning how to improve their serve.
The sessions have been so popular this year that the club was forced to increase the number of groups from four to five, and junior section co-ordinator, Lindsay Allen, says they have been a roaring success.
“The children are absolutely loving it,” she said. “I’ve seen such a big difference in how they play in such a short period of time.
“We want them all to have fun - that’s the main thing - but they’ve all shown real promise.”
The 12-week programme, organised in conjunction with the LK Tennis Academy in Wisbech, has two weeks left and the club is set to hold a mini tournament for its final session before taking a summer break.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 3 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 4 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 5 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 6 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 7 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 8 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 9 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 10 Man who died in A141 crash named
For more information, visit www.chatteristennis.com.