Future Fenland tennis aces showcase their skills during Chatteris club’s 12-week programme
- Credit: Archant
As we welcome Wimbledon back for another year, the future stars of Fenland’s tennis scene have been reaching for their rackets at a club in Chatteirs as part of a 12-week course to hone their skills.
Chatteris St Peter’s Tennis Club, based at St. Peter’s Drive, has been hosting weekly tennis sessions every Sunday for the past 10 weeks in their attempt to encourage youngsters into the sport – and maybe find a future Wimbledon champion along the way.
55 youngsters, split into five groups, go through a variety of drills, such as forehand and backhand training, and learning how to improve their serve.
The sessions have been so popular this year that the club was forced to increase the number of groups from four to five, and junior section co-ordinator, Lindsay Allen, says they have been a roaring success.
“The children are absolutely loving it,” she said. “I’ve seen such a big difference in how they play in such a short period of time.
“We want them all to have fun - that’s the main thing - but they’ve all shown real promise.”
The 12-week programme, organised in conjunction with the LK Tennis Academy in Wisbech, has two weeks left and the club is set to hold a mini tournament for its final session before taking a summer break.
- 1 Whittlesey and March serve up cup thriller ahead of crucial weekend
- 2 Village's stunning Christmas lights display captured on camera
- 3 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 4 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 5 Santa lightens up the Fens in run-up to Christmas
- 6 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 7 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 8 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 9 Attacked PC nominated for bravery award
- 10 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
For more information, visit www.chatteristennis.com.