GALLERY: Anderson holds his nerve to give Wisbech seconds dramatic win
- Credit: Archant
Sam Anderson kicked a penalty with the last kick of the game to give Wisbech seconds a dramatic 15-14 win over Spalding III in a friendly on Saturday.
Spalding went ahead with a converted try midway through the first half but the hosts responded with a try from Lewis Mews.
Man of the match Jason Goat scored a try early in the second half, which was converted by Sam Anderson.
Spalding levelled the scores following a powerful drive, with their kicker nailing an impressive conversion from the touchline.
As the clock ticked down it looked as if Spalding were going to win but on full time the visitors conceded a penalty in front of their posts.
You may also want to watch:
Anderson stepped up and slotted it through the uprights to send a big crowd into raptures.
Wisbech manager Cliff Humphreys said: “I was very impressed with the band of brothers spirit that the second team has. They play for each other.
- 1 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 4 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 5 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 7 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 8 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 9 Disgruntled dog owners fall foul of Wetherspoon's dog ban
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
“We have a number of talented young players in this squad which bodes well for next season.”
The first team was due to play Newmarket in the County Cup but their opponents forfeited the game.
They will host Cambridge Development in the semi finals on April 26.
The relegation threatened outfit have a crucial away trip to Sudbury in SSE London Three North East on Saturday, while the seconds host Swaffham in their final Woodfordes Norfolk League match of the season.