GALLERY: Anderson holds his nerve to give Wisbech seconds dramatic win
- Credit: Archant
Sam Anderson kicked a penalty with the last kick of the game to give Wisbech seconds a dramatic 15-14 win over Spalding III in a friendly on Saturday.
Spalding went ahead with a converted try midway through the first half but the hosts responded with a try from Lewis Mews.
Man of the match Jason Goat scored a try early in the second half, which was converted by Sam Anderson.
Spalding levelled the scores following a powerful drive, with their kicker nailing an impressive conversion from the touchline.
As the clock ticked down it looked as if Spalding were going to win but on full time the visitors conceded a penalty in front of their posts.
Anderson stepped up and slotted it through the uprights to send a big crowd into raptures.
Wisbech manager Cliff Humphreys said: “I was very impressed with the band of brothers spirit that the second team has. They play for each other.
- 1 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 2 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 3 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 7 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 8 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 9 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 10 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
“We have a number of talented young players in this squad which bodes well for next season.”
The first team was due to play Newmarket in the County Cup but their opponents forfeited the game.
They will host Cambridge Development in the semi finals on April 26.
The relegation threatened outfit have a crucial away trip to Sudbury in SSE London Three North East on Saturday, while the seconds host Swaffham in their final Woodfordes Norfolk League match of the season.