GALLERY: Bowers and Lane put together stunning partnership to help Wisbech pull off unlikely Ramsey win
- Credit: Archant
A fantastic unbeaten 166 run partnership between Josh Bowers and Andrew Lane helped Wisbech finish their season on a high with a six wicket win against champions Ramsey at Harecroft Road.
Ramsey batted first and got off to an excellent start, posting 106 for their first wicket. Gary Freear made the crucial breakthrough, dismissing James Markland for 43.
After that, Freear and captain Alan Burton picked up wickets at regular intervals as Wisbech got themselves back into the game.
When opener David Clarke was dismissed by Freear for 79, Ramsey were 163-7. A late Ramsey rally got them to 203-8 off their 48 overs. Freear was the pick of the bowlers with 4-44, while Burton took 2-44.
Wisbech, in their reply, got off to a disastrous start - Danny Haynes, Harry Johnson, Gary Freear and Matt Esser all fell cheaply as Wisbech collapsed to 38-4.
You may also want to watch:
But Bowers and Lane regrouped and set about reeling in the target. Together, they knocked off the remaining runs.
Bowers ended on 83 not out while Lane smashed eight fours and four sixes in a run a ball unbeaten 85.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 Man who died in road crash is named
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 6 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 7 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
Wisbech finished third in the Tucker Gardener League, behind Ramsey and Godmanchester.