GALLERY: Bowers and Lane put together stunning partnership to help Wisbech pull off unlikely Ramsey win
- Credit: Archant
A fantastic unbeaten 166 run partnership between Josh Bowers and Andrew Lane helped Wisbech finish their season on a high with a six wicket win against champions Ramsey at Harecroft Road.
Ramsey batted first and got off to an excellent start, posting 106 for their first wicket. Gary Freear made the crucial breakthrough, dismissing James Markland for 43.
After that, Freear and captain Alan Burton picked up wickets at regular intervals as Wisbech got themselves back into the game.
When opener David Clarke was dismissed by Freear for 79, Ramsey were 163-7. A late Ramsey rally got them to 203-8 off their 48 overs. Freear was the pick of the bowlers with 4-44, while Burton took 2-44.
Wisbech, in their reply, got off to a disastrous start - Danny Haynes, Harry Johnson, Gary Freear and Matt Esser all fell cheaply as Wisbech collapsed to 38-4.
But Bowers and Lane regrouped and set about reeling in the target. Together, they knocked off the remaining runs.
Bowers ended on 83 not out while Lane smashed eight fours and four sixes in a run a ball unbeaten 85.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 9 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 10 Karen’s three-course lunch with Mayor of Wisbech
Wisbech finished third in the Tucker Gardener League, behind Ramsey and Godmanchester.