GALLERY: Bowers and Lane put together stunning partnership to help Wisbech pull off unlikely Ramsey win
- Credit: Archant
A fantastic unbeaten 166 run partnership between Josh Bowers and Andrew Lane helped Wisbech finish their season on a high with a six wicket win against champions Ramsey at Harecroft Road.
Ramsey batted first and got off to an excellent start, posting 106 for their first wicket. Gary Freear made the crucial breakthrough, dismissing James Markland for 43.
After that, Freear and captain Alan Burton picked up wickets at regular intervals as Wisbech got themselves back into the game.
When opener David Clarke was dismissed by Freear for 79, Ramsey were 163-7. A late Ramsey rally got them to 203-8 off their 48 overs. Freear was the pick of the bowlers with 4-44, while Burton took 2-44.
Wisbech, in their reply, got off to a disastrous start - Danny Haynes, Harry Johnson, Gary Freear and Matt Esser all fell cheaply as Wisbech collapsed to 38-4.
But Bowers and Lane regrouped and set about reeling in the target. Together, they knocked off the remaining runs.
Bowers ended on 83 not out while Lane smashed eight fours and four sixes in a run a ball unbeaten 85.
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 3 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 5 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 6 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 7 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 8 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 9 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
Wisbech finished third in the Tucker Gardener League, behind Ramsey and Godmanchester.