GALLERY: Bowers and Lane put together stunning partnership to help Wisbech pull off unlikely Ramsey win
- Credit: Archant
A fantastic unbeaten 166 run partnership between Josh Bowers and Andrew Lane helped Wisbech finish their season on a high with a six wicket win against champions Ramsey at Harecroft Road.
Ramsey batted first and got off to an excellent start, posting 106 for their first wicket. Gary Freear made the crucial breakthrough, dismissing James Markland for 43.
After that, Freear and captain Alan Burton picked up wickets at regular intervals as Wisbech got themselves back into the game.
When opener David Clarke was dismissed by Freear for 79, Ramsey were 163-7. A late Ramsey rally got them to 203-8 off their 48 overs. Freear was the pick of the bowlers with 4-44, while Burton took 2-44.
Wisbech, in their reply, got off to a disastrous start - Danny Haynes, Harry Johnson, Gary Freear and Matt Esser all fell cheaply as Wisbech collapsed to 38-4.
You may also want to watch:
But Bowers and Lane regrouped and set about reeling in the target. Together, they knocked off the remaining runs.
Bowers ended on 83 not out while Lane smashed eight fours and four sixes in a run a ball unbeaten 85.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 7 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 10 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
Wisbech finished third in the Tucker Gardener League, behind Ramsey and Godmanchester.