GALLERY: Burton says Wisbech will bounce back from Godmanchester loss
- Credit: Archant
CAPTAIN Alan Burton says Wisbech’s thrashing by Godmanchester has given his side extra motivation as they push for league glory.
Wisbech went into the game 20 points ahead of second place Ramsey in the Tucker Gardner League but their 125-run defeat on Saturday has seen the gap cut to a solitary point.
Godmanchester batted first and made a commanding 246-5. In reply, Wisbech were skittled out for 121.
Burton said: “It was just one of those days. We did not turn up.
“You often have one or two games a year where you are not at the races and everything goes wrong.
“We thought it was going to rain at 4pm so we decided to bowl first, which is not our style, and the rain stayed away.
“Credit to Godmanchester, they outplayed us.”
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 9 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 10 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
Burton has backed his side to bounce back when they welcome strugglers St Ives to Harecroft Road on Saturday.
He said: “After the game I told my players we need to pick it up, train hard and show what we are about.
“The result brought us back to reality and with seven games remaining we have time to recover, which would not have been the case had we performed like that in the last game of the season.
“We are still in the lead and I have no doubt our rivals Ramsey and Foxton will slip up before the end of the season.
“The game against Foxton in two weeks is going to be crucial. We need to make sure we take points of them, not the other way round.”