GALLERY: Chairman tells rejuvenated Chatteris Town: ‘relegation is not an option’
- Credit: Archant
CHAIRMAN Shaun Hayden has fired a warning to Chatteris Town: relegation is not an option.
The rejuvenated Lilies continued their great escape on Saturday with a vital 1-0 victory over fellow Kershaw Premier Division strugglers Ely City Reserves.
Hayden said doom and gloom had been replaced by optimism at West Street but insisted that Chatteris must stay up in order to achieve his ambitious plans for the future.
“Going down is not an option,” he said. “We must avoid relegation.
“There are potential sponsors that want to help us and there is the clubhouse to finish - for all that to happen the first team really have to stay in this league.
“We want to push for promotion next season. That may sound ambitious but you’ve got to aim for big things to achieve big things.”
Captain Simon Howard headed the winner against 10-man Ely on Saturday - stretching the Lilies’ unbeaten run to three games.
- 1 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 2 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 3 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 4 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 5 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 6 Man charged following Peterborough murder
- 7 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 8 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 9 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 10 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
Aaron Bailey, Ben Green and Lawrie Carter have joined the growing list of players to re-sign for the club, while Andy Moye has returned as a coach.
Joint boss Leigh Matthews said: “We’re probably about as strong as we can be now. We’ve got the players back so there’s no excuses.
“We’ve proved that, on our day, we’re more than a match for the sides in this league.”
Hayden said: “Last year was a challenging time for the club. We had to decide what we would do and we’ve gone about it in the right way, giving it 100 per cent.
“A lot of work is being done behind the scenes. I’ve got someone to agree to take over the website and I’m looking at getting in a groundsman.”
Chatteris, who may look to loan a striker as Richie Allen’s suspension for a red card approaches, host Fulbourn Institute tomorrow.
For information about volunteering at the club contact Hayden on: 07788 395773