GALLERY: Chatteris Town hope to sign centre-back and goalkeeper as relegation fight continues
- Credit: Archant
CHATTERIS Town joint boss Leigh Matthews says the club are in talks to sign a centre half and goalkeeper to help them escape relegation.
The Lilies lost 4-0 at home to Hardwick on Saturday, a result which leaves them second bottom of the Kershaw Premier League and six points from safety.
Matthews is keen to strengthen his squad and is hopeful the deals will be completed by the end of the week.
He said: “We are on the lookout for a centre-half who is a good communicator and a goalkeeper because our usual first choice shot-stopper is injured.
“Hopefully we will have at least one new player in by the end of the week.”
You may also want to watch:
Matthews said there were positives to be taken from Saturday’s defeat but bemoaned his side’s inability to take their chances.
He said: “We did all right in spells but showed a lack of quality in front of goal.
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
“We had a couple of chances and could have gone ahead but once we fell behind we started to chase the game and they got a couple of lucky deflected goals.”
The Lilies boss still has faith in his side to claw back the large deficit in their remaining league games, starting with tomorrow’s crucial home match with Over Sports.
He said: “I don’t think it’s too big a gap. We have got 10 games left so hopefully we can pick up three or four wins in that period.”