GALLERY: Contrasting fortunes for March and Wisbech cricket teams in Rutland season openers
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town kicked off their Rutland First Division challenge with a three wicket win over Eaton Socon.
Gary Freear was the pick of the bowlers with 3-38 as Eaton Socon made 220-7 in 45 overs.
In reply, Sam Albutt’s quickfire 39 gave Wisbech a good start, while Freear chipped in with 36.
They had a wobble on 153, losing two wickets, but Danny Haynes settled the ship with 62 as Wisbech won with more than four overs to spare.
On Saturday, Wisbech beat North Runcton by 101 runs in a friendly.
You may also want to watch:
March Town’s pre-season campaign started with a 38-run loss against Downham Town at The Avenue on Saturday.
Downham batted first and posted 187-7 off 45 overs. Stand-in captain Tyler Phillips (2-44) and Richard Green (2-26) were the main wicket takers.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 Man who died in road crash is named
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 6 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 7 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
In reply, David Hodson scored 45 as March reached 68 without loss but they lost 10 wickets for 82 runs to be bowled out for 150, 37 runs short.
A rookie Sunday 1st XI lost by 199 runs to Ketton in a Rutland Division Two contest.
Ketton racked up 318-2 in 40 overs. Skipper Toby Nulty made 36 but March were bowled out for 120.