GALLERY: Contrasting fortunes for March and Wisbech cricket teams in Rutland season openers
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town kicked off their Rutland First Division challenge with a three wicket win over Eaton Socon.
Gary Freear was the pick of the bowlers with 3-38 as Eaton Socon made 220-7 in 45 overs.
In reply, Sam Albutt’s quickfire 39 gave Wisbech a good start, while Freear chipped in with 36.
They had a wobble on 153, losing two wickets, but Danny Haynes settled the ship with 62 as Wisbech won with more than four overs to spare.
On Saturday, Wisbech beat North Runcton by 101 runs in a friendly.
March Town’s pre-season campaign started with a 38-run loss against Downham Town at The Avenue on Saturday.
Downham batted first and posted 187-7 off 45 overs. Stand-in captain Tyler Phillips (2-44) and Richard Green (2-26) were the main wicket takers.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 3 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 4 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 5 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 6 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
- 9 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
- 10 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
In reply, David Hodson scored 45 as March reached 68 without loss but they lost 10 wickets for 82 runs to be bowled out for 150, 37 runs short.
A rookie Sunday 1st XI lost by 199 runs to Ketton in a Rutland Division Two contest.
Ketton racked up 318-2 in 40 overs. Skipper Toby Nulty made 36 but March were bowled out for 120.