GALLERY & Cricket round-up: Table-topping March pegged back in hard-fought draw with Foxton
MARCH’S lead at the top of the Tucker Gardner Premier Division was cut to 12 points after the title challengers struggled to a draw at Foxton on Saturday.
March looked to have the home side in trouble at 22-3 but Foxton battled to 232-9. Matt Wilcox (4-82) was again in the wickets with Stuart Mills and Shardul Brahmbhatt also getting two apiece.
Brahmbhatt hit 36 in March’s reply but it was Tommy Howgego who earned his side a share of the points. The young opener batted the entire innings for his 63 not out as March closed on 162-7.
• A FINE team performance from March II earned them an impressive six-wicket victory over Kimbolton and Catworth.
Richard Green (3-42) and Callum Young (2-35) combined to restrict Kimbolton to 175-7 at The Avenue. Dan Martell (42) and Tyler Phillips (44 not out) helped March home inside 40 overs.
You may also want to watch:
• RELEGATION continues to loom for March III after they were skittled for 86 against Pymoor, who cruised to a six-wicket victory. March IV were awarded the points from their weekend fixture, after Elsworth II failed to field a team.
• LEAGUE leaders Chatteris returned to winning ways with an eight-wicket thrashing of Eversden.
- 1 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 2 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 3 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 4 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 5 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 6 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 7 Election 2021: Tories win Whittlesey by-elections
- 8 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Wimblington murder probe: first photo of victim
Joe Menarry (3-26) and Andy Wool (3-33) bowled well as Eversden set an impressive 219.
But Chatteris’ powerful batting line-up made short work of the total, with James Dawson (41), Alex Platt (85 not out) and captain Ant Palmer (66 not out) seeing them home with seven overs to spare.
• CHATTERIS II suffered a 37-run defeat to Little Downham.
Kev Felton (3-30) was the pick of the bowlers as Downham reached 167-6 but Chatteris never got going in reply. Ben Perry’s 25 was the only bright point in a disappointing total of 130 all out.
• SUNDAY saw March host their annual President’s XI v Chairman’s XI match at The Avenue.
Aussie star Matt Wilcox hit eleven sixes in a brutal 88 off 42 balls, as President Mike Wallis’ team declared on 267-6.
Chairman Les Mills’ team reached 213-8 in reply, with Shardul Brahmbhatt’s 50-ball hundred the highlight. Chris Peckett (28 not out) and Matt Hubbard (20 not out) helped them to a draw in the closing stages.
• CAMBRIDGESHIRE take on Northumberland in a three-day minor county championship game at The Avenue next week.
The game starts on Sunday and play commences at 11am each day. All spectators are welcome. Cambridgeshire are currently top of the minor counties Eastern Division.