GALLERY: Disallowed tries haunt luckless Wisbech in fierce clash with league leaders
WISBECH Rugby Club were stung by controversial refereeing decisions as two disallowed tries stopped them from upsetting the league leaders.
Table-toppers South Woodham Ferrers claimed an 8-3 win in a feisty encounter at Harecroft Road on Saturday - but Wisbech felt they should have secured more than a losing bonus point.
The hosts thought they had scored tries twice in the second half, only for the referee to rule that they had been held up over the line.
The bad-tempered clash stayed scoreless until the 65th minute when Wisbech edged ahead thanks to Will Pettit’s penalty.
But the hosts’ lead was a brief one as Ferrers won the ball in the lineout and released their winger for a try in the corner. The conversion was missed but the visitors did extend their advantage in the closing stages with a penalty.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech boss Cliff Humphreys said: “When you are down, luck always seems to go against you. Unfortunately the referee failed to see that we had scored our tries.
“Each squad member played his part and it was a very spirited performance. The losing bonus point puts us fourth from bottom, one place away from relegation.”
- 1 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 8 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
Wisbech, who have lost their last five London North-East Division Three games, travel to Upminster on Saturday.