GALLERY: Dragon slayers March up the league

March hockey men v Norwich dragons. Picture: Steve Williams

March hockey men v Norwich dragons. Picture: Steve Williams - Credit: Archant

Hockey Division 2N March Town I 4 Norwich Dragons I 1

A decisive victory for March saw them leapfrog league rivals Norwich and move in to second place.

A solid all round performance from the hosts saw them net twice in each half to keep Norwich at arms length and score a telling victory as the season moves towards the business end.

March started the match on the front foot and went ahead thanks to David Hodson after good work from captain Mat Bamford. Bamford made it 2-0 when his mishit shot found its way into the net.

March played some good possession hockey in the second half and Ryan Wright, who was playing in a new forward role, found space inside the ‘D’ to score with a reverse stick strike to make it 3-0.

Adam Graham made it 4-0 following a good short corner routine. Norwich Dragons came back at March and scored a consolation goal. March goalkeeper Matt Lynn made a string of good vital saves throughout the game, including a save from a penalty flick.

Division 5NW

Most Read

March Town II 3

Bourne Deeping IV 4

A well-struck shot from Gary Howsam quickly put March into the lead.

Bourne pulled a goal back from a short corner but another short corner taken by Jodie Betts kept March in front. Just before half-time, Bourne Deeping netted an equaliser.

In the second half, Betts made a great run before passing to Charlie Boughton, who scored the third goal for March. In the last 15 minutes March began to tire, giving the opposition the upper hand. Bourne Deeping then scored two quick goals to earn the win.

Tony Manze was man of the match.

Ladies Division 3NW

March Town I 7

Cambridge Nomads II 0

Bekki White’s short corner met Louise Minnis at the top of the D and she flicked the ball over the keeper to open the scoring.

March continued to dominate the possession with some great work in midfield between Amy Laws and Rachel Mottram, resulting in a pass to Minnis who scored the second goal. Before the half time whistle, Charlotte Norman crossed from the right to White, converted the third goal.

After half-time, March continued with the strong attack. Hana Howsam worked her way around the defence and scored a fourth goal. As Cambridge struggled to keep pace, March moved clear and further goals for Howsam, White and Minnis sealed the win. Felicity Allen was voted man of the match.